We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

Lane, Kansas
14 posts
Crime

Ok I just came across article on the crime at Cat Island which has me second guessing my decision to go there. The rape and murder of visitors and of american resort owners being terrorized and burned there resort down. Anybody have any ideas if this is common place? I am a little scared now to go. I was going to go to pigeon cay resort.

Christy

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Crime

can you reference the article? That has got to be a joke. I have never heard of anything like that happening on any Out Island, much less Cat Island.

Lane, Kansas
14 posts
2. Re: Crime

www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4230

Here is the article, it is old 2004. But still wondering what everyone thinks.

Hope the link works. If not I typed in Cat Island Bahamas in google and scrolled all the way to the bottom where it gives you more choices of search options and crime on cat island was there as a choice.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Crime

Ok, sorry no one is responding who has actually been there but I can tell you that my husband and I have always felt safe on our travels to Eleuthera, Long Island, Andros, Abacos.

The American who was killed in 2004 was a resident of Cat and owned a business and had just fired the person who killed her. He was sent to prison and from what I read, sounds mentally unstable. I cannot find anything about a resort being burned down. The other references to crimes in that article are from New Providence. That website tends to sensationalize everything. Think of it as a rag mag like you see in the grocery store checkout lines here in the US.

Hope your fears have been alleviated and you go and tell us all about it when you get back!

Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Crime

Hope this helps..me and my girlfriends have been to the outer islands and never felt unsafe in any way. Everyone is very friendly and helpful and we never had any issue's. Hope you have a good time, you will love the Islands of the Bahamas.

Virginia
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
5. Re: Crime

My wife and I were in Cat last month. Seemed like the safest place in the world and everyone couldn't have been friendlier.

Lane, Kansas
14 posts
6. Re: Crime

Ok that makes me feel better😀. Thanks everyone!

Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: Crime

I just spent a week in Cat Island. DEF not what that article portrays. I traversed almost every inch of that island and never felt insecure, compared with my home town Nassau.

that being said Cat is not as tourist oreintated as long island, abaco or long island.

cincinnati
4 posts
8. Re: Crime

We were there in may 2013 and felt perfectly safe. For heaven's sake that was 2004! Would you have gone to NYC on September 12, 2001?

Now dangerous is having your own onsite armed security guard that came with a house we rented on Tobago ---- I would never go back to Tobago, Trinidad or Jamaica because THOSE places don't feel safe to me.

I felt safer there than most places. Of course, you don't want to be an idiot either, i'd never, for example, sashay about with my fancy jewels (if I had any!) and/or make act like a jerk to the locals. Like anywhere, you need to be aware of what's going on around you, which isn't a problem on Cat because there's so few people1

Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Crime

I was there on April. Nothing to do. I will preferred Exuma

Jacksonville, North...
1 post
10. Re: Crime

Been to Cat many times. Best part of island is the people that live there. Safest vacation destination out there.

Get answers to your questions about Cat Island