We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place to stay?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which place to stay?

It looks like we might have options to stay 5nights at: Flamingo Bay Club, Pigeon Cay, Tail Winds, Sammy T's & maybe Halvorson House. Any thoughts on pros/cons? Would enjoy a place that's oceanfront, where we could walk to a place or two for food/drinks, with calm beautiful water. We'll have been at Mangrove Cay on Andros for 5 nights before. Also would enjoy snorkeling, kayaking, fishing.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
171 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which place to stay?

Why isn't Shannas Cove on your list? It is awesome.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which place to stay?

Not available during our stay. Halvorson isn't either.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place to stay?

Given that our stay is <2wks out, places are going quick. Our options are: Flamingo Bay Club, Tailwinds, Sammy T's. Anyone have thoughts? I don't know where, exactly Flamingo Bay is. Would appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place to stay?

Tailwinds is just down from Shanna Cove at the very top of the island. Wonderful beach, nice units. They do not have full cooking facilities however. Great tiki bar right on the beach.

Sammy T's is also on a lovely beach, the units are set back a bit from the beach, but most of the units I believe have full cooking facilities. It's location also makes for an easy walk to Bennetts Harbour ( Yardies bar/restaurant) and Halvorson House is just a 2 minute walk around some rocks.

Flamingo Bay is at the south end of the island. I do not know it personally, have seen the resort from the road and it looks nice. It also I believe has cooking facilities.

So for Tailwinds/Sammy T's, fly into Arthur's Town and Flamingo Bay you would get off at New Bight. You will have a fantastic time at any of the places.

FYI

Charles Fox who with his wife run Sammy T's is an excellent fisherman, and Bennetts Creek is an easy kayak away. There is some pretty decent snorkeling around Sammy T's. If you were to stay up at Tailwinds, you could still go on a snorkeling trip with Frank at Shanna Cove which is just a 5 minute walk away. There is also good bonefishing in Orange Creek which you pass on the way to Tailwinds. Mr. Willard Cleare is a bonefishing guide who lives there.

Happy travels!

Hope this info helps

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place to stay?

TuscanyBay. Thank you SO MUCH for this information. It's very helpful. I've been amazed by how challenging it is to find good, detailed information on the Out Islands! We don't typically cook our own meals on vacation. We love experiencing the local places for food / drinks. It seems we won't have many places to try no matter where we stay, but it seems that either Sammy's or Tailwinds we'd have a couple of options within walking distance? Would we be able to walk a ways on the beach from either of these locations - or are they more in rocky coves? Again, thank you.

Ontario
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which place to stay?

The beach at Tailwinds goes forever! Seriously you can walk for miles. It is gorgeous, totally sandy heading south and going north if you time your walk at low tide you can get right to Man O War seacave. The only nearby meal alternative is Shanna's Cove, but what an option, seriously the best on the island, lunch on their deck, fantastic. Rich, the owner at Tailwinds also does meals, we've only had bar snacks and drinks there. I know that he does take guests to Da Smoke Pot in Arthur's Town at least once.

The beach at Sammy's T's is not nearly as long for walking, still it does offer the opportunity to walk a lovely beach, cross around a few rocks, flipflops are fine and continue on the beach right to the dock at Bennetts Harbour. You pass right by Halvorson House. Walk up to Yardie's for a beer, ice cream cone or some of Derek's conch salad.

So beach wise go with Tailwinds, proximity to local spots and perhaps more interaction with Cat Islanders -Sammy T's.

Sammy T's will likely be less busy.

Either spot, you will be blown away by the colour of the water. Enjoy!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which place to stay?

Thank you again TuscanyBay. This is very helpful. They both look outstanding & I'm sure we'll have a fabulous time at either. I also wondered if we'd want to rent a car for 1-2 of the days we'll be there to explore a bit. They both get great reviews, the only thing I noticed is that it seems there's hardly any recent reviews for Sammy's and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Perhaps nothing at all?? Oh and somewhere I read to get a certain cabin to avoid road noise so I wondered if this was right near the main road? But I also envisioned the "main road" not being very busy!

Ontario
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which place to stay?

Sammy T's owner, Sammy Thurston died 2 years ago, since then it has definitely not been as busy. The young couple managing the place are doing a good job, they are just not as outgoing as some people may want. There is only 1 cabin down by the road ( which you are correct is not busy), you should be able to get one of the cabins up by the restaurant/garden. You can't really see the ocean from the rooms which isn't a big deal really during the day as you will be likely on the beach and at night time you can't see anything anyways. Business this year has been picking up, so not sure why there hasn't been reviews. If you end up staying at Sammy's, please do a review.

That being said, Tailwinds is a newer, fresher resort and the only traffic is people who live up there or coming to either Tailwinds or Shanna.

So, if both places are costing approx. the same, you may want to go with Tailwinds as it is right on the beach, newer and it is owner operated which does make a difference.

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which place to stay?

When are you headed to Cat Island? We will be at Tail Winds the week of March 9.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which place to stay?

We are booked at Tailwinds 3/13-17. Will you still be there? Looking forward to it.

Get answers to your questions about Cat Island