We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolphin expeditions

Level Contributor
17 posts
48 reviews
26 helpful votes
dolphin expeditions

is this company still in business? i see nothing since 2016, about them? are there any other weekly live aboard operators?

13 replies to this topic
Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
50 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: dolphin expeditions

We just got back from Bimini and I know for a fact that the company below is in business:

https://biminiundersea.net/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: dolphin expeditions

If it is the company that I think it is, I HOPE NOT

Crazy captain Geoff and horrid boat, unsafe

Bimini, Bahamas
6 posts
3. Re: dolphin expeditions

Hello, this is Geoffrey from Dolphin Expeditions. I just saw your post here. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. After over 30 years of operation without a break of any kind we took two season off to recharge. We will be back in operation May 2019 for our summer dolphin season with a new boat and totally rested.. Our web site is being updated and will be up within a month. We can be reached on our FB Dolphin Expeditions pages, Instagram, e-mail dolphnexp@aol.com and 772 284 0144 anytime... please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions that you might have. All the very best, Geofrey

Bimini, Bahamas
6 posts
4. Re: dolphin expeditions

It is sad that we took two season off after over 35 years without a break and Bimini Underseas has started using our name to promote their trips... We are the oldest wild dolphin liveaboard swim in Bimini We will be back in operation the start of the 2019 dolphin season next May with our new custom sailing catamaran... You might like to cjeck out our Dolphin Expeditions FB pages...

Bimini, Bahamas
6 posts
5. Re: dolphin expeditions

Hello Karenalaobscura, I hope this finds you well. I have just read your unhappy review of your time spent with us. It's surely not the kind of note that we're used to receiving as you can see on the responses on the previous trip advisor page.. We have taken a couple of season off after over 35 years without a break. We just posted our return to our dolphin family for the 2019 dolphin season.. Previous guests have booked up almost half the season already in just a two week period. I feel really bad that you left so upset with the time that you spent with us, me in particular it seems. It is not the what we strive for in any way. Here is all my contact information if you would like to contact me to see if there is anything that I can do to help you feel better, or to at least understand what what the problems were so that it is never happens again... My e-mail is dolphinexp@aol.com, phone anytime 772 284 0144 ...FB page is https:/… ..I'll post this on your other response and in your in box so hopefully there is something good that can come from this...I do apologize from the bottom of my heart for the upset feelings that you have and wish you the best... Geoffrey

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: dolphin expeditions

I went out on the Indigo twice over two years with Geoff and the crew. Not sure what your issue was (is), but not once did I see anything that was unsafe in behavior or equipment or unsanitary. I'm looking forward to getting out with him next year.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: dolphin expeditions

terrible outfit. Do NOT use them.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: dolphin expeditions

The captain GEOFF is insane and a total creep. The boat is filthy and unsafe. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT give your money to this grifter. He tries to sleep with any pretty woman who is on her own and makes it so obvious. He does not even have life jackets. What a total creep.

1 post
9. Re: dolphin expeditions

OUR EXPERIENCE WAS DEADLY—PLEASE READ

It brings me no pleasure sharing the horrific details of my trip with Geoffrey and Dolphin Expedition in September 2016, but since recently learning he's resuming operations (albeit with a new boat) after a break to "recharge," I feel compelled to let others know of my experiences.

In early 2016 my business did a lot of research to try and find a company that was in alignment with our philosophy about respecting the wild dolphins, as well as providing comfort and safety for our small group. We looked at land-based operations and live-aboard operations. We eventually chose Dolphin Expeditions and thought it would be perfect for us. Geoffrey assured us that the accommodations on his boat rivaled any that could be found on land in Bimini—which turned out to be untrue.

My first red flag was that once we booked the week with him, Geoffrey rarely returned my calls or responded to emails, making communicating trip details nearly impossible. When he did communicate, essentially everything he told me about the condition of the boat was false (note that he has no closeups of the interior of his new boat). I asked for photos of the sleeping rooms but he would never send me any saying he didn't have the right equipment to get good photos. When we arrived, the downstairs cabins were cramped (to be expected on a boat) but they weren't clean, were filled with mildew, peeling paint, mildewed bed linens, and were generally grimy. We were embarrassed, to say the least that we'd brought a group of close friends on his "yacht," but were willing to buck-up and give it a try, after all we weren't there for the accommodations, but to swim with the dolphins. One of our guests deemed the boat a "rust bucket," and sadly I had to agree.

IMO, Geoffrey turned a blind eye to or downplayed a lot things that didn't agree with his notion that he was running a superb and safe operation and as a result put everyone at risk. The air conditioning was broken (I found out later it had been that way all season), and there were electrical extension cords strewn about everywhere (think trip hazards) supplying power to fans which did nothing but move extremely hot air around the cabin. Lights in key areas (like the area with the ladder to the lower deck were burned out or missing) and we had to specifically ask they be fixed or replaced for everyone's safety. We are a vegan group and he assured us our dietary needs would be met, but our first meal we were served non vegan food and when we inquired about it the chef didn't even know we were a vegan group. The list goes on.

To test the swimming abilities of the group Geoffrey forced a fairly long swim to shore, despite one person clearly saying he could not swim well enough to do it (though Geoffrey's website said all swim levels could/would be accommodated) and was finally given a life vest after a heated discussion, and another person getting so tired fighting the current she had to be helped to shore and then back to the boat.

Worst of all, Geoffrey used a technique called a "rope swim" which apparently is also offered by other operators in the area, but the Bimini Police gave me the impression it was an unsafe practice. It was on the third full day of our trip during a rope swim that my best friend of +23 years drowned right next to me.

To Dolphin Expedition's credit, the two staff that were in the water with us worked very hard to resuscitate our friend for over an hour as we made our way back to shore. During that time we discovered that the emergency medical supplies on the boat that may have assisted in resuscitating our friend were non-existent or severely inadequate—most of the medicines were ten years past their expiration date, and there was no AED defibrillation onboard. Geoffrey, who had assured us repeatedly that he was razor sharp in any emergency, disappeared as soon as everyone was out of the water.

Over and above the risky rope swim and the inadequate medical supplies, it's important to know (whoever you end up choosing) that there's no Coast Guard in Bimini, so if an emergency happens no one is rushing to your rescue. In fact, there might not even be a doctor on the island. When we finally did make it to shore, we were told the doctor was on another island that week. By then, of course, it was too late. My friend had been dead for an hour. The nurses that came onboard were so nonchalant about the whole thing which made me think this must happen a lot. They were in no hurry to provide assistance and approached our boat as if on a leisurely stroll. After they checked for a pulse, we carried her body on a gurney to an open bed pickup truck and they drove her to a clinic. Those are the last images I have of my friend. I still remember hearing the water sloshing and gurgling around in her lungs as we ran with the gurney to the pickup truck. Some things you simply can't un-see or un-hear.

Obviously, this experience traumatized our entire group. Unfortunately, I remember all of it in great detail like it was yesterday and when Geoffrey recently announced he was back in business having never explained why it was he suddenly stopped to "recharge," I decided to share my/our story so you could make an educated decision about whether you want to book with Dolphin Expeditions.

I can't find statistics online about drownings in Bimini, but they happen more often than I thought. The day before my friend drowned another American also drowned. Here's a link to the news article: tribune242.com/news/…

And, I believe a diver had drowned the week before.

I don't mean to scare anyone away from swimming with the wild dolphins, but I encourage you to please do your research and go with a company with an excellent safety record and with all the equipment needed to handle an emergency in the best and most effective way should one arise. Your life, or the life of a loved one may depend on it.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
10. Re: dolphin expeditions

That guy needs to be banned and put out of business....the experiences sound deplorable and life threatening

Reply to: dolphin expeditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bimini
Recent Conversations