We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bimini

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Getting to Bimini

I am looking at possibly booking a last minute trip to Bimini in April (next month). What is the best way to get there from either Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I've looked at the FRS Ferry - are the only times 9:00 AM (going to Bimini) and 6:30 PM (leaving from Bimini) or are there other time options? That wouldn't give us much flexibility with catching a return flight home from FLL/MIA. I also looked at Tropic Ocean Airways, but their returning flights are full for the date we need.

24 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Bimini

I know Melbourne has elite air that flys there certain dates. We booked on tropic ocean:... but just when 3 of us booked, it sold out that flight... small plane.

Prairieville...
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Getting to Bimini

I just returned from there. The ferry is very overrated and almost twice the cost of the sea plane. We took the ferry from Miami and returned on the sea plane to FLL. Next time I go it will be seaplane going and coming. I flew with tropic ocean, very convenient to the hilton. I would call them. The flight I booked online was supposed to be smaller than the one we were on. So I am sure if they have enough interested passengers they may send over a larger plane.

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Bimini

If departing from newark nj is a option there is a great package we booked directly on rwibimini.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Bimini

Tropic Air is the best option. We just returned from Bimini and we took the ferry there and the seaplane back. What a difference. The ferry itself was nice and could've been fun, but we had very rough seas going over. Everyone on the ferry was getting sick. It wiped us out for the remainder of the day. Going home we flew and it was a blast. Great pilots, great view and quick. I do think the ferry has an afternoon run and if the seas are calm then it should be fine.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Bimini

Silver Airways has flights from Bimini to FLL - there may be more flexibility on their times. Note that there is a North island and South island in Bimini. It's easy to get between the two - it's a short ferry ride to the South island where the airport is; I believe the Ferry goes into the North island where most of the tourist locations are.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Bimini

Thank you each for your replies! I moved our dates around a little bit and I think we will take Silver Airways to Bimini and Tropic Ocean back to Fort Lauderdale since those are cheaper for the dates that we are looking at. I wish we could take Tropic Ocean both ways since they have amazing reviews, but it is double the price of Silver Airways for the day that we are going to the island.

So my next question is how far is the ferry from South Bimini to North Bimini from where Silver Airways lands? Will we need to take a taxi of some sort from the "airport" to the ferry? Do you know how much the ferry ride costs and how long it takes to get to N. Bimini?

Since we would be landing in South Bimini, is there anything that we should do while we are there before heading to North Bimini?

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Getting to Bimini

We're taking Silvery Airways. We had reservations with them and they cancelled their flight (FLL to BIMINI). We had to move our reservations around with the hotel. We're taking Silver Airways Sunday to Sunday. Since we already had our flights booked to FLL from SYR, we are now forced to spend a night in FLL the Sunday we go home...so we won't actually be home til Monday.

It's been very annoying trying to figure out how to get to this place-- but I'm sure the vacation will be worth it. The island looks beautiful.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Bimini

Syracuse - are you staying on north Bimini? I was trying to find more information about the ferry from south bimini to North bimini if we take the Silver Airways flight to the island

5 posts
9. Re: Getting to Bimini

How did it go? Looking at taking the same method in next month. Any advice?

Thanks!

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Getting to Bimini

My hubby and I are going to Bimini June 5-9, and taking the Tropic Ocean seaplane to and from Miami. Since I have found very little information about Bimini on TA, I am planning to write a very detailed trip report when I return. I hope to help others with any questions about the island, restaurants and transportation. We are staying at the Hilton. Stay tuned......

Reply to: Getting to Bimini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted