We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Nassau in a day

1 post
Things to do in Nassau in a day

Hi,

We will be in Nassau for a day as part of our cruise on 20th December and wanting to find out what are the best things to do on our own without going through organised tours. We are family of 2 adults and 2 kids (13 and 12). We are thinking of going to Cable beach (3 hours in the morning), come back to Nassau, have lunch and doing Parliament Square, Nassau Public Library, Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle in the morning ( 3 hours). Is this possible to do on our own? What is the best way to get to cable beach?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

RK

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Things to do in Nassau in a day

Catch the #10 bus to cable beach in front of the McDonalds near the cruise dock. It costs $1.25 per person exact change.Tell the driver you want to go to Goodman Bay. It is the public beach area and there is a park with trees and shade as well as restrooms. The beach is expansive and beautiful. When I was there at the end of September 2018 on a weekday there were no food vendors and there are no restaurants near by.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Things to do in Nassau in a day

It was many years ago that I was there, but there was a straw market near Cable Beach, much less intense than the one downtown. I enjoyed the one at Cable Beach, the other one worried me.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Things to do in Nassau in a day

I do not recommend to do any public beach, we did cable beach 2 years ago for a cruise. When we got to the beach there were locals smoking weed and renting 2 chairs and a beach umbrella for $50, I gave the guy $60 and ask for my change, he never came around with my change, they were also selling some unlimited home liquor inside a milk gallon jug and were selling that for $20 bucks, they gave a extra small cup and ask for a tip every time I got refill. The beach was beautiful but it’s hard to enjoy the beach area when the locals are not organized for tourist. I’ll recommend to do an early excursion to the blue lagoon island and just enjoyed it there.

Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Things to do in Nassau in a day

Why not splurge and get day passes to Atlantis? Be the first one off the ship and grab a cab to Atlantis. The kids will have a ball there - water slides, beach, great food. Dont go to public beaches. Another idea is a day pass at Melia or other hotel that does day passes for their beach. If you want to just hang out downtown, take them to the Pirates Museum, shop a bit, have lunch at a way cool cafe. All depends on how much they love the water and your budget for the day.

Reply to: Things to do in Nassau in a day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted