We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Atlantis really that bad?

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Is Atlantis really that bad?

Have just been reading loads of Trip Advisor reviews about the Atlantis. Nobody has a good word to say about it. What on earth is happening? It sounds awful, has put me off booking a trip here.

Everyone seems to be complaining about the extras bill they get when they check out, there are lots of hidden costs, fees and taxes i.e. $30 for a sun shade, $10 beach fee -even if you never set foot on the beach, $10 maid service fee, $50 resort fee, mandatory 15% gratuity fee - even if it's 'to go', 12% tax etc, you get hit with a hefty extras bill at the end of your vacation - it's all per day, so better budget for that.

Also, everyone is complaining about the continual power outages, therefore no air conditioning or lifts when that happens, no hot water, rude staff who couldn't care less and give bad service, people getting charged for things they didn't order.

All the reviews I have read, all seem to say the same thing, it sounds awful. What a shame!!

I went to this hotel about 17 years ago, I loved it, it was the best hotel I have ever been to. I always wanted to come back here one day. I can only assume that the management changed at some point and this is the result. I hope someone saves this once great hotel.

6 replies to this topic
Summerville, South...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

I went to Atlantis in June and I loved it. We are planning a trip back next year. We didn’t use any of the sun shades so I’m no help there? My bill didn’t show an extra $10 fee for the beach, so unless that’s included in the cost of the room then I didn’t see that. Gratuity is included but you will see that when you sign your receipt. As long as you keep up with your receipts then you are good. The only thing that did surprise me that I didn’t know about was at check in they charged me an extra $300. This $300 is a hold. You can use your room key to buy everything on the property and if at the end of your trip if you have used less than this, then they refund you the difference but if you use more then they charge the extra. I actually didn’t mind it because it made me budget more trying to stay under that $300. I kept up with every receipt so I would know how much I had left. I can see where people can get carried away with swiping their room key and not keeping up with amounts and having what they feel is extra on their bill. The day of check out they slid my bill under the door & I went over it & everything was right.

As far as staff goes, I didn’t encounter anyone that was rude. A bellhop noticed I was lost trying to find the beach towers and offered to show me where my room was and took my bags on the cart. This was after multiple others offered me help but I finally caved because my children & I were struggling. We made great friends with someone at one of the outside grilles & he gave us tips since we were also traveling downtown Nassau. I also missed the bus to an activity I booked for my kids & they told me to wait on the next one & still go & they would work it out. When we finally got there we had missed our class but they were super accommodating and added us to the next class even though it was full. My oldest also did the jr trainer for a day program. There was a really bad storm that popped up & lightning did strike something so some of the registers were down. But the power in the hotel never went out. It didn’t take them too long to fix it at all. But because of the storm it interfered with the class and the instructor was amazing and let the class go over. He apologized for being late but explained that the money we spent for our kids to participate, he was not about to let them miss out on any part of the experience because of a storm. I was so thankful and so was my son. He really loved the program.

Any question I asked was answered and if they were unable to, they pointed me in the right direction. Even the women who worked in the food/gift shop were so nice. They talked to my two children and kept telling them how adorable they were.

We stayed in the Beach Tower and since it is connected to the Coral Tower we spent a lot of time there as well with checking in and leaving our bags on check out day since we had a late flight. When we returned to get our bags I remembered I hadn’t ordered our pictures and the guy was so amazing. He offered to take my bags outside and stand by them and wait on my taxi for me while I purchased my pictures. I’m not sure if me being a mom alone with two children made others more prone to help me, if they truly are that amazing, or if the Tower we stayed in made a difference but, we had a wonderful time and loved everyone we met.

I hope this helps!! I saw a lot of reviews before we went and I was nervous also. But since returning, I can’t figure out why so many complained. My family has fallen in love with Atlantis..it even comes first to Disney in my children’s book & that’s a big deal!

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

Thank you for your kind words, it was nice to read that someone had a nice time here.

When we stayed here 17 years ago, the staff were very nice and we didn't have a bad word to say about anyone, I was really shocked to read all these negative reviews!! A lot of the problems seem to centre around the Beach Tower (which is where I thought to stay). Nightmare scenarios with no air con or lifts - very off putting.

1 post
3. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

Thank you so much for this review. I am going next week with my husband and 5 year old for our 10 year anniversary. Reading these reviews sometimes get me so scared. I have been wanting to go for years.

Summerville, South...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

No problem! Unless I got lucky I honestly don’t know what all of the complaints are about. We have been wanting to go for years and we were just so thankful to be there. I feel like some of these people go in with unrealistic expectations..the service I experienced in the Bahamas is better than any service I’ve had in the US in my opinion. Beach towers is where we stayed & I was freezing in my room & actually cut the ac off for a while..I forgot to cut it back on before we left but thankfully house keeping came in that am & cut it back on for me. We personally enjoyed the beach towers..next year we are trying the Coral Towers only because it seems more centrally located..it was a lot of walking with kids from the beach tower. But overall, we had a great time. I hope you guys enjoy your time! We can’t wait to go back!

San Antonio
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

We just returned from Atlantis, stayed at the Coral tower, ground floor. I was not impressed by the room, but I knew that it was not their best tower by any means. Staff overall is nice, though restaurant staff sometimes appear overwhelmed. Staff at the restaurants can be hit or miss, but you can always get what you want/need after a little bit of waiting. All the people working on the grounds or out on the hotel floor were always super nice and helpful. We booked through Costco, so no surprise fees. It is expensive to eat there, but we expected that. Do not get the meal plan, it is not worth it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
6. Re: Is Atlantis really that bad?

we styed in the Royal towers in June on Marriott reward pts but the end bill was still a shock with all the extra fees. but nothing that we did not expect

Room itself....v nice to my surprice, large clean large bathroom

Service...ok just don't expect anything extra and u will b ok

Food...we ate all our meals at Marina village and visited the grocery store just beyond the village reasonablel

glade we did it...the kids had a great time. apparently we just missed them airlifting a shark to Miami that had grown too large for the facitly We were told they they put it in a harness and flew him through the air.

There were so many thing we will never experience again This was only our 2nd island trip

regrets ...since we split our trip between baha mar and Atlantis I wish we had stayed at Atlantis first. then we would not have been disappointed with the service at the atlantis. Baha mar does it right. The svc is top notch. Ex @ SLS pool.. when the staff sees you walking towards a lounge chair they can t get to u fast enough to put the 2 towels on the chair for you to sit down, then they offer u a class of cold fusion water. Nice...where at the Atlantis u have to wait in line to get a towel...Not that I mind jut the svc offered at baha is unexpected for less money than Atlantis. .

Reply to: Is Atlantis really that bad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Providence Island