We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Hi there!

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Bahamas in April next year, and are really overwhelmed by picking a place to stay. We're planning 5-6 nights at an AirBnB rental, and are dying to visit Harbor Island for a day trip one day, since our budget doesn't really allow us to stay there for our whole trip. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I'm wondering what islands are accessible by boat/ferry to Harbor Island, if anyway? We don't really want to fly to Harbor Island just for the day, and would love to be able to hop on a ferry of some kind. If anyone has suggestions, we're looking for a quiet and relaxed couples getaway just to unwind and unplug. We imagine most of our days lying on the beach with books, kayaking, enjoying the local restaurants, maybe having access to a nice town for shopping, but that's all we need. We'd also love to swim with the pigs and do an animal encounter excursion of some kind if we can, and it seems there are a few places to do that if I'm not mistaken? All suggestions very welcomed as we're completely overwhelmed! We just know we'd really like to see Harbor Island for an afternoon if we can make it happen :) Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

You don't say where you are looking to stay in your airbnb, but since you want a day trip from there to Harbour island, you've got limited options.

1. Stay on New Providence/Paradise island, then take the daily Bahamas Fast Ferry to Harbour Island as a day trip. It gives you about 6 hours on the island.

2. Stay on mainland Eleuthera -- many rentals to choose from with many on the beach as well in just about every budget option. Check areas like Gregory Town, Governors Harbour, Palmetto Point. Harbour island is a car drive up to north Eleuthera and a short ferry ride across to Harbour Island (<10 min)

3. Probably the best option for your wish to unwind and just lay out on the beach -- Spanish Wells. Small island off the coast of Eleuthera. Lots of rentals and within different budgets. Transport is largely on foot or bia golf cart. Take a <10 min ferry to mainland Eleuthera, then a 15 min. taxi ride, and another ferry to Harbour Island <10 min.

Other than on the main island of New Providence (Nassau) and Paradise Island, you won't find much shopping other than a few souvenir shops, liquor and grocery stores.

There are now pigs near Spanish Wells, so that makes for an easy visit. There are some very good snorkelling tours around the Spanish Wells area. You can also see Gina, the resident manatee and her newborn calf -- yet to be named, but Calypso seems the front runner!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

"There are now pigs near Spanish Wells, so that makes for an easy visit. "

Is that a better and cheaper alternative now compared to the Exumas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

This was very, very helpful! Thanks so much! For our Airbnb, we haven’t booked yet because we’re very open to different islands and first wanted to figure out which ones were closest to a ferry to Harbor Island. Your info was so helpful thanks again! We have some research to do for sure 😊

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

jordansbulls, better and cheaper in the same sentence rarely works! So while the experience is cheaper, not sure it's better. For that matter, I can't really understand the pig craze anyway and find it all rather mystifying that people are willing to plan their vacation around bathing porcines -- but that's just me!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Dusty-Traveller above said:

"1. Stay on New Providence/Paradise island, then take the daily Bahamas Fast Ferry to Harbour Island as a day trip. It gives you about 6 hours on the island."

I think dusty confused the transport time with the time on H.I. time. The ferry takes about 3 hours each way from Nassau to H.I.. You have about 4 hours to explore before you have to return to the ferry 1/2 hour before departure.

Reply to: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted