We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Hi there!

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Bahamas in April next year, and are really overwhelmed by picking a place to stay. We're planning 5-6 nights at an AirBnB rental, and are dying to visit Harbor Island for a day trip one day, since our budget doesn't really allow us to stay there for our whole trip. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I'm wondering what islands are accessible by boat/ferry to Harbor Island, if anyway? We don't really want to fly to Harbor Island just for the day, and would love to be able to hop on a ferry of some kind. If anyone has suggestions, we're looking for a quiet and relaxed couples getaway just to unwind and unplug. We imagine most of our days lying on the beach with books, kayaking, enjoying the local restaurants, maybe having access to a nice town for shopping, but that's all we need. We'd also love to swim with the pigs and do an animal encounter excursion of some kind if we can, and it seems there are a few places to do that if I'm not mistaken? All suggestions very welcomed as we're completely overwhelmed! We just know we'd really like to see Harbor Island for an afternoon if we can make it happen :) Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2018, 18:44

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,005 posts
662 reviews
2. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

"There are now pigs near Spanish Wells, so that makes for an easy visit. "

Is that a better and cheaper alternative now compared to the Exumas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

This was very, very helpful! Thanks so much! For our Airbnb, we haven’t booked yet because we’re very open to different islands and first wanted to figure out which ones were closest to a ferry to Harbor Island. Your info was so helpful thanks again! We have some research to do for sure 😊

4. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2018, 01:35

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
5. Re: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?

Dusty-Traveller above said:

"1. Stay on New Providence/Paradise island, then take the daily Bahamas Fast Ferry to Harbour Island as a day trip. It gives you about 6 hours on the island."

I think dusty confused the transport time with the time on H.I. time. The ferry takes about 3 hours each way from Nassau to H.I.. You have about 4 hours to explore before you have to return to the ferry 1/2 hour before departure.

Reply to: Islands Accessible to Harbor Island in Bahamas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted