We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best island to visit with a 1 yr old

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Best island to visit with a 1 yr old

My husband and I want to take a trip in December/Jan time after his deployment, we’ve been to Hawaii but want to experience the Bahamas. Hawaii I can get away easily with trips to Walmart for diapers etc but in the Bahamas can I get away with such things ? Or will I have to pack in my suitcase my own supply of everything ? Have any other families with babies done the Bahamas for, do you have tips ? There’s so many islands too and it seems like a lot are more secluded, might not be a family friendly destination this time around.

2 replies to this topic
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best island to visit with a 1 yr old

I travelled to Great Exuma and Long Island over 4 trips with two kids including when the youngest was 3 months and up to when they were 2 and 5. We found those out islands to be very family friendly and the kids were welcome everywhere. We took them on kayaks, on a paddle board, rented boats many times, to casual restaurants and explored both islands extensively. No problem at all. Diapers are available - Bahamians live there with their babies too. What else is your etc? On each trip we rented a house and a car. You can choose a secluded rental or a place that is more central with other people. Lots of options right on a beach.

I have read comments on this forum that the weather in December is fine. If you go in January, it's still pretty nice - that's when I have been - but the chance of some cooler days is higher.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 08:03
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best island to visit with a 1 yr old

Great Exuma would be a good choice as mentioned above.

Reply to: Best island to visit with a 1 yr old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted