We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Mexico disaster need some help

Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Post Mexico disaster need some help

Hi,

My wife and I have just had to cancel our 8 day visit to Mexico due to doctors orders today re the Zika virus. Our overall trip is ten weeks and we fly out tomorrow. We would be looking to spend around a week in the Bahamas now flying from New Orleans.

My wife and I are 31. We love beaches, relaxing but also want a decent array of restaurants. My wife has a weak immune system due to a kidney transplant so we don’t want something really undeveloped.

We aren’t after partying, gambling or big nights out.

We are having a lot of trouble working out which Bahamas island would suit us best?

Look forward to hearing from you TA people! We are in a bind post the Mexico disaster and would love some help!

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2018, 19:38

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

Dusty always has great advice! I want to chime in on her first suggestion of Elbow Cay. I think you would both love it. My daughter is your age and she and her husband loved the Abacos when they went with us a couple of years ago.

I would look at the Hopetown Harbor Lodge or Abaco Inn for accommodations. You can get around the island in a golf cart which is also fun and easy. If you can drive a boat then you might want to rent one for a couple of days and see more of the cays or get someone to take you out- snorkeling, fishing or just sightseeing.

If you stay in the settlement at somewhere like HHL then you can walk to restaurants, shops, bars, etc.

So sorry you had to change plans but I love the Bahamas out islands. I would choose that over Nassau any day though personally. Sorry dusty- don't mean to insult your home!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

for an overview:

http://www.visithopetown.com/

4. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2018, 19:38
Edited: 10 November 2018, 19:38

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

Do you have set dates or are you flexible? If you can be flexible then I put in hypothetical dates out of MSY to MHH on Delta and Saturdays are exorbitant in the short range but a Tues to Tues, for example, Aug 21-28 gets a really decent rate (for Abaco) of $529 pp so play around with it. Also check American...

Hope you find something great !

Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Post Mexico disaster need some help

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your generosity with advice and apologies for the delay as I got side tracked by much less exciting things which needed to be completed prior to leaving.

I’ve decided on Exuma post doing some more travel and will have to leave the Abaco islands to next time unfortunately.

I’m still trying to work out Exuma but will hopefully get some things locked in within the week!

Thanks again everyone!

Reply to: Post Mexico disaster need some help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted