We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Long Island

New Hudson, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Long Island

Hi! We are traveling to the Bahamas this October The place we would like to rent is on Long Island. We are having a difficult time finding information on how to get to Long Island from either Nassau or Freeport. Can somebody please tell me what the easiest way to get to Long Island would be? Is there a water taxi? Are there hopper flights that fly to the island? Thank you in advance for your help on this inquiry :-)

4 replies to this topic
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Long Island

If you were to google:

flying from Nassau to Long Island Bahamas

one of the sites you'd get is: https:/…getting-here

Website and Contact info for all your options is included.

The easiest way is to fly either with Bahamasair or Southern Air, or if you want to go private, Stella Maris Air or Island Wings.

That's all the work I'm going to do for you ;)

Half the fun of this type of adventure is researching all your options :)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Long Island

Southern Air flies to Stella Maris and Deadmans Cay daily. Bahamas Air flies to deadmans Cay on a more limited basis. I do not love Southern Air so I would recommend flying with Stella Maris Resort’s plane. Check out their website for the email address. They are very responsive. These are all from NAS. There aren’t any flights to LI from Grand Bahama.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Long Island

Daniel,

There are several posts that answer your question in detail -- please do a quick search in the forums!

Distances in the Bahamas are greater than most realise -- The north end of Long Island is some 160 miles from Nassau and even further from Freeport. There are no water taxis. There is a weekly mailboat that takes roughly 18 hours. Flights from Nassau average 40 minutes.

There are two airports on Long Island -- Stella Maris in the north and Deadmans Cay in the south. The island is 70+ miles long, so a rental car is almost a must. You won't regret choosing Long Island!

New Hudson, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Long Island

Thank you for the info! This is a great starting point for me to figure out our travel plans!

Reply to: Getting to Long Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted