We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

north carolina
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Does anyone know when Carnival is on STT next yr? Last yr when we were trying to get to the airport from STJ we did not realize it was Carnival and it was a nightmare. We made our flight with only seconds to spare. We would like to avoid that next yr. We have booked next yr for Apr 30-May6.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Unless anyone knows of a major change scheduled for next year, Carnival always ends the last week in April so in 2011 the Adult Parade and final festivities would be on Saturday April 30th which is the day you arrive.

north carolina
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

should we consider changing our dates and arrive a day later?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Not necessary. The taxi drivers take the longer route over the mountain to avoid delays and, if you're renting a car on STT to take it to STJ on the car barge, you'll be given those directions. No worries!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Sorry, Carnival this year is scheduled for 5/4-5/7. It's the first week of May this year. I always follow the VI Dept. of Education calendar, and those are the correct dates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Sorry, but Carnival 2011 is scheduled for 5/4-5/7 this coming season. Usually it is the last week of April. I always follow the St. Thomas board of education school year calendar. Those dates are always correct as school is closed for the Carnival break. Hope you can make the change, or leave early to avoid the traffic nightmare! Good luck!

Hartford...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

St. Thomas Carnival 2011 is from April 17th to May 7th. You shouldn't have a problem at the airport when you leave on the 6th but I'm not sure about when you arrive on the 30th. That is the beginning of the final week of Carnival, Boat Race, Pageants, Food Fair, Parades etc, so there may be a lot of people at the airport. But look at the bright picture. The beaches will be practically empty while everyone is at the Carnival festivies and you can go to the Emancipation Garden on Wed for the Food Fair. Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Just to reinforce, I have unwittingly booked my last two STJ vacations during ST Thomas Carnival and St John Carnival, respectively. I arrived into STT on the night of the adult parade two years ago and really had no issues other than going a longer route. We hired a private cab for that ride though, as we came in on Cape Air late.

To me the bigger issue was last year when I arrived during STJ carnival. The ferry operator ran out of change and the ferry to get to STJ was slammed. Locals were kind of just jumping past the line of tourists from multiple airliners arriving at the same time. It was chaotic and we were packed into the ferry like sardines. Cruz Bay was crowded, but everyone was nice and we got where we needed to go.

Long story to tell you that you could run into some inconveniences, but nothing that will significantly affect your stay.

Hamilton, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

can you please tell me what Carnival is, I will be there for the day on April 30/11.

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

This appears to be the official site

http://www.vicarnival.com/

However that site has not updated ANY of the schedule etc. yet - its driving me nuts :)

I too want to know WHAT goes on at Carnival?

Edited: 25 January 2011, 01:06
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival in St Thomas in April/May of 2011??

Carnival is spread out along a few weeks leading up to the Carnival parade and fireworks.

Some of the activities include food fairs, speed boat races, competitions for Carnival Queen and Princess, a children's parade, steel drum concerts and the list goes on. There is a Carnival village set up about a week before with some great local cooking and music every night

The schedule usually does not come out early, so there will be several posts here looking for it, but the posting of it tends to be on island time.

STT Carnival is generally the end April

STJ Carnival starts in June and ends on July 4

STX Carnival is usually around Christmas