We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Salamon

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Getting to Salamon

What is the difference between hiking from the National Park bldg. or hiking from Caneel? Is one longer than the other?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Salamon

Unless you are staying at Caneel, you willl have to pay $10 to park there, that is a new charge, so I would hike from National Park.

It is a great beach but I am far to lazy to hike it, not sure how long it takes but I am guessing about 45 minutes

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Salamon

If you go from behind the National Park Visitor's Center, it will take about 15-20 minutes to get to Solomon. It's a pretty easy hike, and as long as we've had some rain, it is partially shady. It's well worth the walk, just beautiful! Go early, you'll have it to yourself for awhile. I used to like to grab coffee and a sandwich at Deli Grotto to take along.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Salamon

15 to 20? Even my lazy butt can do that. I always thought it would take longer so I never tried. :)

savannah
Level Contributor
186 posts
4. Re: Getting to Salamon

Was just there last week and hiked it. It was about 20 minutes from the parking area. Worth the walk.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Salamon

Anyone know how long the walk would be from Caneel? Is it easier than the hike from Visitors Center (minus the $10)?

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
1 review
6. Re: Getting to Salamon

From Caneel's lot, Honeymoon is first at a 9 min walk (yep my niece timed it (lol) and Salomon about 10+/- mins further.

Pia

7. Re: Getting to Salamon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 20:35
Louisville
Level Contributor
518 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Salamon

I agree with the last post...the same thing happened to us this summer. Parked at the NPS VC, and no problem hiking down to Salomon (and what an incredibly beautiful beach, love the "horizontal" palms on the Honeymoon end of Salomon). But after a great afternoon we also got off the trail on the way back up and wandered around for quite a while in the hot conditions...it is pretty easy to get lost going back up, and believe me your credibility will never be the same if you get the group lost! There are supposed to be marked signs, but I couldn't see them or follow them. Great beach, though!

9. Re: Getting to Salamon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 09:48