We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and hikes

steamboat springs
Level Contributor
134 posts
Beaches and hikes
Save

We arrive November 1 for ten days, can’t wait! I’ve started thumbing thru St. John Off The Beaten Path and was surprised at how many beaches there are and how many hikes there are. Now I know I have seen people post there favorite beaches and there favorite hikes but now I have to get serious about this. I am going to ask all TA fanatics to give me their list of favorite beaches/hikes, probably only 7 days worth. First a little info about us. We have a Jeep so we can get to all parts of the island. We are in our early 70’s but we live at 7000’ and are very active. We want to snorkel and hike, not really into lounging on the beach much! We are staying right in Cruz Bay. Thanks for all your help!

5 replies to this topic
Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
10,956 posts
192 reviews
93 helpful votes
1. Re: Beaches and hikes
Save

Get a trailbandit map. Lists all hikes and lengths, great map, and lets you see how you can combine hikes to make longer circuits. All the spots are mentioned for the great snorkeling unless otherwise noted. We don't beach lounge.

1. Ram Head from Salt Pond (VIEWS). Do early, gets full sun. Snorkel at Salt Pond after. Rocks in center are great.

2. Tektite to Cabritte Horn Point(VIEWS). Snorkel at Tektite or Yazwi Point after.

3. Cinnamon Bay Loop Trail (great ruins) and the Cinnamon Bay trail to America Hill Ruins (amazing views). Can continue all the way to Centerline road and walk a mile on the road (with EXTREME caution) to Maria Hope and back to Maho and walk the road or taxi back to your start.

4. Anaberg to Waterlemon to Johnny Horn trail to Murphy House ruins for AMAZING views. Snorkel at Waterlemon pretty much anywhere after. Johnny Horn trail can be taken to Coral Bay or hook up with Brown Bay trail to Brown Bay (good snorkel if conditions permit-not often) and East end. We did the loop from East End-Brown Bay and hiked the shoreline scramble to Waterlemon-Johnny Horn-Murphy house stop- back to Brown Bay and East end, loved it!!! You do get a little wet and have to do 2 or 3 pretty easy scrambles, but the whole shoreline is pretty much uneven rocks.

5. Reef Bay Trail to Petroglyphs and Reef bay ruins and beach (only snorkeled once years ago and it was terrible, but we were apparently in the wrong spot). Long hike all uphill on the way back. Can also access Reef Bay from Fish Bay and hike the sandy beach with one rock scramble. Flat and hot that way walking in sand, but still beautiful. Can also hike from Lameshur to Reef Bay. Great after a good rain to see the falls at the petroglyphs.

6. Lind Point to Salomon- stop at Cruz Bay overlook. Snorkeling at Honeymoon/Salomon is not the greatest

7. Hike to Caneel overlook. There are different trails and we only did one back trail that led to a place we stayed, not any of the proper NP trails, but the view is great. That was before Caneel was destroyed.

8. Peace Hill...more like a short little walk, but great views.

9. We did the Sieben trail to the only Baobob tree on STJ and really liked it. We hope to do La'Esperance one trip or perhaps pick it up after Baobob and going to Reef Bay, shoreline back to Fish bay and walk the road back to the car.

Never had a bad hike on STJ. First 5 are favorites, but we don't really consider Peace hill a hike.

steamboat springs
Level Contributor
134 posts
2. Re: Beaches and hikes
Save

Wow, thanks! This should really get us started!

Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
10,956 posts
192 reviews
93 helpful votes
3. Re: Beaches and hikes
Save

I should clarify that snorkeling is great if the hike actually goes to a beach haha. The Cinnamon/peace hill/caneel/Sieben don't go to beaches. Easy to see on the map.

steamboat springs
Level Contributor
134 posts
4. Re: Beaches and hikes
Save

Are the trailbandit maps available on line or do you pick them up on island?

Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
10,956 posts
192 reviews
93 helpful votes
5. Re: Beaches and hikes
Save

I order mine from Bob online and he ships really quick. You can also download them on his website. They are also sold on island at places like Beach bums, maybe St. John’s spice, and I saw them at the shops by skinny legs years ago.

Trailbandit.org

Reply to: Beaches and hikes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.