We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance Thoughts

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
67 reviews
Trip Insurance Thoughts

Hi all. Looks like we are heading to St. John and the BVI's in February. Really looking forward to this as our December /January plans this past year were trashed by Irma. Literally. I'm comparing trip insurance policies - looking at Travel Guard but wondered if others had suggestions for different/more preferable providers, or any experience stories to share. Looking at a cancel for any reason rider as well - only way to get around some of the weather/disaster related clauses even if it just covers 50% of trip costs. Thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Have you looked on www.insuremytrip.com ? It allows you to compare policies. For our needs I have purchased a policy from Nationwide the last 3 or 4 years. They would have covered our April/May 2018 trip if our rental was not repaired or the rental co wasn't able to move us elsewhere right up until the time of our trip. I didn't have to make a claim within 'X' number of days of the storms. Many did.

We have never had to file claim, thankfully. The rental co moved us to another property and we had a great trip. I don't buy the cancel for any reason. Costs too much, and we're going no matter what if we possibly can. I do buy a policy with emergency medical evacuation.

catawba island, oh
Level Contributor
334 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Hello Bluewater, curious- would you care to share your carrier for the medical evacuation insurance? Thanks

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

We always use Allianz (have never had to use it). We book it through AAA as their offering is a little more comprehensive than what they offer online. We do not book our trip through them. For us, it was just under 100pp for 2 weeks including plane tickets and villa rental costs.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

The Nationwide policy I buy includes the Medical Evac. It's the 'Essential' plan. They have a cheaper policy that does not include it.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

We are going again in Nov/Dec for 3 weeks. The policy cost $244 for 2 ppl. Includes the usual; rental, airfare w/delay & baggage coverage + the med evac.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Thanks for the suggestions - going to check out Nationwide. We'll be on a cat for part of the time so want to make sure I have the best option for sea, land and air :)

Hobbs, New Mexico
Level Contributor
133 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Some major credit cards already have a lot of trip insurance built in. I would definitely check and see if one of yours does. As far as cancel for any reason, we have looked into that too before, and the cost prevented us from purchasing. I would just be careful with the contracts you sign for the villa and make sure your car rental would be refundable, other than that you can usually cancel or change airlines relatively easy (as in my experience).

catawba island, oh
Level Contributor
334 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Trip cancellation would be a hurtful cost. Medical evac expenses would be catastrophic. Recently have heard of a few folks with experience and cannot even imagine expenses they endured for transportation off Carribean islands. Appreciate the info Bluewater.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

Our very good friends are Nationwide agents and we purchase trip insurance thru them.

Concerning medical evacuation coverage - if its important to you, make sure to know how much it covers and to where will it take you. Some policies would pay, for example, for a flight to the nearest hospital and in the VIs, that might be PR. Others will cover to the facility of your choice.

Concerning weather delay - know when it kicks in. The policies we get start after a 12 hour delay.

Trip interruption - again, the policies we get, pay for any lost days (sadly, my friends had to collect when a family member's passing cut a vacation short) I remember reading on this forum where a family needed to leave STJ early but because a certain percentage of the vacation was already complete, the trip insurance coverage refused to pay.

I can't stress how important documentation is for any claim. I had to fight to get a small claim paid because I didn't have a paper boarding pass to show I actually boarded a rescheduled flight.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
961 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Trip Insurance Thoughts

I would be curious to hear people’s experiences with actually filing claims and getting them paid (or not). People always have lots of experiences to share with insurance except for the part where they actually have to file a claim - the stories are most often like, “and fortunately we’ve never had to use it!” That is fortunate, and the result everyone hopes for, but the proof of any insurance is in the pudding - when you have to actually use it. So I’m hoping someone might have such experiences to share on this thread as well.

Reply to: Trip Insurance Thoughts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted