We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
6 reviews
Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Please share your experience with getting or NOT getting a full refund for a booked trip after Irma. Many of us will remember how we are/were treated when booking in the future.

Our trip is booked with Caribbean Villas. If we cancel they would keep 20% of our deposit even if the property is inhabitable. I know it is because of the aerial pictures. The only contact has been initiated by me and they have given me zero information other than I can cancel and forfeit 20% or it can be applied to a future rental with them. Their main office is on the east coast and the owner was supposed to go to STJ two weeks ago to survey all their rentals. Our trip isn't until the end of April and we do have trip insurance, so we are crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.

Very poor customer service IMHO.

358 replies to this topic
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
321. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

This is my outcome. We rented directly from owner (VRBO). Won’t do that again. Two weeks Nov 28 to Dec 12. Payed the 50% deposit plus half damage deposit in Feb. Also bought trip insurance from John Hancock. For 3 persons 349.00. So after weeks of e-mails finally getting answer that they would cancel our reservation with no return of our deposit. We did get back the damage deposit. They did offer to keep our money for future stay. We did not want to do that. I asked them to send report on damage and a confirmed cancellation date. They did so and I immediately filed with insurance. Got my answer yesterday. The insurance will cover the deposit. AA put our miles back into our account and gave back the 15.00 per ticket. We are traveling now being covered by the insurance we purchased. So hope to return to beautiful St John. It is my Happy place.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
38 reviews
322. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

You are the second person who has had good luck with John Hancock. They seem to be a good choice for travel insurance for this type of incident. CSA, not so much.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
28 reviews
323. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

tessallen, Am I reading this correctly? The owners you booked with have a damaged villa, gave you the run-around with lack of email response and are keeping 50% of the rental fee?? IF all of that is true, I'd call them one of the ugly. Can you give us their names?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
324. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Mhrpatton - what villa does Marc Miller rent?

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
175 posts
14 reviews
325. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

We had booked directly with an owner through VRBO at Grande Bay for January 5th. Originally I was told they would follow the original cancellation policy which was 10% of the deposit or the full deposit if not rebooked. After 2 phone calls and sending messages through Vrbo, we just got our full deposit back. We will book with them the next time we go to St. John. Not such good luck with L & L jeep rental. Could not get deposit back and won't be using them next time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
104 reviews
326. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

As noted previously we booked Andara through Viva for mid-Nov. It took a few months but we received a full refund from them this week. We also received full refund from AA and STJ Car Rental. Some anxious moments but all turned-out OK. Very thankful.

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
327. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Has anyone actually received a refund from Destination St John management company? I feel horrible for everything STJ has gone through, we have been there many times and love this island and it's people. Our rental was scheduled for March 2018, and our rental agreement is that we can cancel minus 15% fee, 60 days prior to rental dates. I regretfully canceled in mid October because our flights from the midwest were canceled and we could no longer get to STT the same day. Still have no idea when I will get my money back. Correspondence has been very minimal. Anyone have DSJ success?

United States
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
328. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

After my bad on the villla rental, I have a good for Jeep Rental. Amalie Rental Car cancelled the reservation with no penalties. If you haven’t used them in the past I would highly recommend looking into them-their cars are new and clean, they meet you right at the airport and your car is waiting right next door to the airport. It saved us so much time!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
19 reviews
329. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

KaraM Marc Miller manages several villas.

https:/…

Maryland
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
330. Re: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Courtesy Jeep rental not only offered to return our deposit, but they did so by reaching out to us without being asked. Very good company.

Reply to: Owners & Mgmt Co's- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted