We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

Just found out my husband has off a week in July. We have never taken the kids to the Carribbean so we thought we would go then. My ideal place is luxury with Family and Kid activities. My kids are 10 and 12, not babies. So snorkeling, waterskiing, jet skiing, maybe a water slide, plus good restaurants and suites. I was thinking maybe the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas? Just because I know what I am getting with the Ritz. Any input from anyone? Anything in Bermuda or Turks and Caicos?

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

If you want all inclusive the beaches resort in Turks looks great!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

What is your "luxury" budget? You are looking for high-end with family activities, nothing in the USVI will have that, and that leaves out many of the luxury AI and EP resorts that cater to adults only.

Beaches in T&C has the activities you want and is a family resort but is not a luxury or high-end resort in my opinion. Sandals properties are a step-up and are family-friendly, look at their properties in the Bahamas, Antigua, and St Lucia. They offer the high-emd residences and butler service options.

But the obvious choice for your family luxury vacation is the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island next to Nassau, New Providence Island. The property is amazing, the room choices range from a studio to a $25,000/night suite, the aquariums are breath-taking, and the waterslide the most famous in the Carib.

Take a look at their site and reviews here. We were there last month on a cruise for a second visit and it is an unbelevable resort for families. Friends have stayed recently and their kids loved everyday and the adults enjoyed the service and pampering.

Can't think of anyplace else that would make your week the best!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

Two places that come to mind...The Reefs in Bermuda and La Samanna in St.Martin.....Once you go to Bermuda you may never want to go to any other island...bring your money!! Keep in mind that Huricanes are a definite possibility at either island at that time of year. Not likely but possible.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
13,582 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

JMSH: hurricanes are a possibility throughout the Caribbean in hurricane season which runs roughly June through November but July is the front end and there's a significantly lower possibility then. Anyone traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season is advised to spend a few extra $$s (and it really is very inexpensive) to purchase trip insurance just in case any plans are disrupted.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

<<Two places that come to mind...The Reefs in Bermuda and La Samanna in St.Martin.....>>

These are semi-luxury hotels but not really family-oriented properties in my opinion.

Bermuda offers several restaurants and there are other options (apartments and smaller options) near The Reefs with a pool and water sports nearby but there are no car rentals and you must taxi or bus everywhere (or scooter). We're staying near there next month and had considered the Reef but the reviews of small, out-dated rooms doesn't jive with the base $570+ price. We're staying in a one-bedroom apartment near the nicest beach there for 1/3 that.

And with kids I would probably consider the busier Orient Beach over La Samanna as an option since water sports are available there and it's just a more vibrant spot where the kids won't get bored. We enjoyed the Alamanda Hotel there, well away from the topless section of OB. Don't miss Grand Case for the excellent cuisine.

But I still can't think of a better destination than Atlantis for a family trip with the options you're looking for...

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

A friend has been to Beaches in Provo and Jamaica and rates the one in T&C much higher. The other recommendation would be Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Kids and adults love their water park. As a previous poster said, the water slide is world renowned.

Another family oriented resort is Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia. Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic also has a lot of family friendly all-inclusives.

Happy Planning! ;~>

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

You posted for STT. I really don't think the Island will fit you and your family. STT is all about condos,villas, driving around, getting out, no inclusives, ferrying to other islands, relaxing, etc.

Check out Beaches.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

For the DR I would look at the La Romana/Bayahibe/Dominicus area rather than Punta Cana, perhaps the Dreams Resort or Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. The Punta Cana area is resort only and they must also ride a couple hours back to Bayahibe for the best excursions, etc. Beautiful area with lots of different things to see and do there, we were just there last month and will return.

9. Re: Looking for high end, Family Resort in Carribbean in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:47