We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

Does Verizon offer coverage in St. Thomas?

Thanks.

sw pa
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

yes they work fine. At least they did in January. 69 cents a min.

Jamaica, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

What about T-Mobile cell phones? Do they work at USVI?

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
736 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

My own personal experience is that cell service with Verizon can be spotty. My husband has better service with Cingular (now AT&T). I would recommend calling Verizon before you leave for the island, for roaming and updating.

Enjoy your trip.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

I just returned yesterday and my Verizon phone worked.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

Our verizon cell worked -- but -- no free calls, even verizon to verizon so beware!

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

i have verizon cell phone...we have a plan that includes the USVI so we didn't get that many roaming charges (sometimes your phone picks up the BVI tower...) you couldnt check you voice msgs (if you try, it would turn all of your settings to spanish)...but you can recieve and send text msgs but not picture msgs. I hope this helps!

Helen

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

xsoftballbabi89 - how did you get a plan on Verizon that includes the USVI? I called many times and was told over and over that they did NOT offer coverage of USVI (although my plan DOES include Puerto Rico with NO roaming charges). All of our calls made while in the USVI were charged the 0.69 per minute roaming rate.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

i dont know...my parents told me that we had it...we did get charged some roaming charges (.69 per min) b/c our cell phones picked up the BVI tower. I can ask my parents but we have had the same plan for years (with like no upgrades or anything)...if they had a plan before including the USVI, we would keep it until we change to a different plan. That is what they told us about 6 months ago when I tried to change a text msging plan for myself. They said with any plan that you have (minutes, text, pix) as long as you do not upgrade, they do not change the price or where it covers. i hope this helps somewhat.

Helen

9. Re: Verizon Cellphones- do they work in St. Thomas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:50