We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Canada
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

We ( couple in 60's) but... young at heart are thinking of visiting St Croix.We have travelled to many islands and Europe so we know what we like. We would be coming with another couple. I do all the planning so ..

Here' goes...

We would like a place with a full kitchen/livingroom /balcony etc (condo style ).

2 - 1 bedroom

or a 2 bedroom/2 bath

I love to swim in the ocean and love calm clean water (no sea grass)

We would need a 4 star or higher style place- but not snobs - so a fun place is great !!

Need a pool of course

We love to explore and go to different restaurants and places so we would have a car.

Help me if you can

thanks

robin

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

Robin... we are also in our 60's and last March was our first stay on St. Croix for a week (March 2012 we are staying for 2 weeks) so I'm very limited in suggestions but we stayed in a great condo in Pelican Cove ...http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p220387#propertyInquiry. The pictures of this condo are exactly what we found. One of the bedrooms is smaller and doesn't go out on the patio ... 2 full baths ... so close to the Caribbean ... beach is nice for sitting ... the swimming in front of Pelican Cove is non-existent HOWEVER if you walk down the beach for about 5 minutes you are at the Palms where there is great swimming and snorkeling. Pelican Cove has a terrific swimming pool with a waterfall ... also a hot tub ... it is approximately 10 - 15 minutes from Christiansted. Paula, Saffie, and Margy Z will have some really great suggestions also. The rental agent for Pelican handled our car rental and when we landed the rental (Centerline) people were there and waiting for us. When we flew out we left the car at the airport.

We also took an awesome 4 hour snorkel and sunset sail that was just the two of us ... but could easily have held 2 couples and the captain and her first mate. Margy Z will definitely have some great restaurant suggestions

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

The calmer water will be on the west end of the island, but there are no 4-5 star condos on the west end.... Most beaches I've swam from on St Croix have some seagrass, some more than others.

The condos that come to mind in other locations, Coakley Cove, Pelican Cove, and Gentle Winds, are close to the beach but are not 4-5 star places in my honest opinion. Someone may disagree with me here. I'd give them more of a 3-31/2 stars. Margy has stayed at Villa Madeline villas/condos and some of them might be more in line with what you're looking for, although they are not on the beach. I'm not sure if you can rent Carden Beach Condos, but they are definitely 5 star-- however while they are right on the water,they don't have a good sandy beach in front of them. But a good beach is only 3-5 min drive away. A rental agent should be able to tell you if one of these are for rent. (call them, don't depend on email)

Have you thought of sharing a villa? Margyz is the go to girl on this board if you need villa information. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Paula

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

I just posted my reply without noticing Lynnes. I totally agree with her about Pelican Cove. We found the condo we rented there (www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p207002) to be exactly as the photos on the website. I think it was the closest to how a place we've rented down there actually was. There was nothing wrong with it, but it sounded like you are looking for something more upscale maybe? If these condos look like what you are talking about, then I also can vouch for the comfort-- ours was appointed very nicely, kitchen well stocked and the whole condo was very clean. It had a large balcony with a grill. The water at Pelican Cove can be rougher than the west end depending on when you plan on being there. Hope I haven't confused you!

Paula

Canada
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

thank you for all the info

I truly HAVE TO have a swimmable beach with no sea grass.

I love the ocean (when clear)

Is that a problem to find in St Croix ?

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

No, the problem (in my opinion) is lack of a 4 to 5 star condo on a pristine beach with no seagrass. (Some may think Gentle Winds qualifies-- I've only walked around it, never stayed there, so it may -- I got the opinion it was more of a 3 and 1/2 star, but like I said, I haven't stayed there and don't know how luxurious the condos are. They're privately owned, one may be remodeled to the 5 star level for all I know!) I just hate to tell you to go someplace and you be disappointed. I understand wanting to stay someplace that is of the caliber that you're expecting. :)

One nice thing about St Croix-- there are many beautiful beaches all around the island that are only a short car ride away. An easy few minutes drive if you're not staying right on a beach. When we stay at Coakley Bay Condos we walk to the pool, but drive to a beach. Don't know if this is acceptable to you. When we stayed at Pelican Cove, we had the luxury of walking right out to the beach, and then about a 5 min walk down the beach to where you swim. There was some sea grass,though, in places. It was a nice condo, exactly like the pictures show, but not a luxury condo.

Margyz has done quite a bit of villa research on her vacations down to the island and I'm sure could point you in the right direction as far as a nice villa within walking distance to a clear beach.

Paula

Boston
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

St Croix is a big turtle breeding ground and there is seagrass in/around many of the beaches. They close one of the nicest, most popular beaches during hatching season. The turtles eat the sea grass and many species of fish hide among it. It is an extremely important part of our ecosystem and it many of the beaches may have some seagrass. However, we have never found it to be enough to prevent you from swimming and the entry point where you swim is often clear of it.

St Croix is a wonderful island with many of the things you are looking for, but there can be seagrass on the beaches. I have never seen it on the west side. I do not know of any upscale places there but there certainly could be. Margy would probably know if this is the case. The other place that may suit you and has no seagrass that I have seen is the Carambola but I don't know if they have full kitchens. There may be other places as well.

However, if this is a dealbreaker and you want a place with NO seagrass then maybe it is not the place for you.

We alternate between the BVI and St Croix and there is hardly any seagrass in the BVI.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 08:59
Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Robinc9 - In the USVI I think what you might be looking for would be a beachfront villa at Peter Bay on St. John, or the residences at The Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas. I don't think you will find everything on your list in one place on St. Croix. There are a couple of upscale beachfront villas that I know of on the east end - Whispering Winds and Solitude House - but there might be sea grass in the water at some point. Reefs and storms changing the seascape - you never can tell. I have not heard of any upscale rental villas on the west end and accommodations on the west beaches are limited to a couple of small very casual resorts. St. Croix is a pretty laid back island. I have only heard of one condo rental unit at Carden Beach and I don't think there are any short term rentals offered at Candle Reef.

Good luck and happy planning!

- Margy

Canada
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay

thank you so much for all the info Margy Z/Saffie11/stcriox

I will investigate more.

I don't want to sound like a snob - I want a nice place(codo style) and clear water.

Maybe I will need to look elsewhere

This is dissappointing

I will look up the places you have mentioned

I am thinking the Ritz on St Thomas is expensive and we have been to St Thomas,so I was looking for another island (new to us)

We love Aruba (5xs)

Been to Puerto Rico,St Thomas, Bahamas, Paradise Island,Bermuda, Jamaica,St Kitts.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?????

We are going with another couple and I always do the planning (don't want to mess up).

Milford, IA
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay

Try Turks and Caicos...everything you are looking for. The West Bay Club Resort would have all the things you mentioned on your list...Happy travels!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay

I agree about Turks and Caicos also look at Guavaberry Spring Bay or Mahoe Bay on Virgin Gorda - they are upscale Villas and the beaches are gorgeous there. The beaches on St John would be perfect for you but there is not much accommodation on the beach which might not work for you, but if you don't mind driving to the beach you should post on that forum.

Also, if you love Aruba and Paradise Island, you should know that St Croix has a very different vibe. It is much more laid back and not commercial/touristy.

Don't feel bad about wanting a nice place. It is important that people know what they want and do the research so they are not disappointed on their vacation. All places have pros and cons and it is important to find what works for each of us and luckily it is different or it would be a very boring world!