We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Cottages by the Sea

Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about Cottages by the Sea

I've been spending some time trying to find the right location for my husband and I and Cottages by the Sea intrigued me. Can anyone who stayed there tell me if kayaks and beach chairs were available, and if so, was there a charge?

Thank you to all the wonderful people on this board. I never travel without referring to Trip Advisor.

Terri

15 replies to this topic
Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Kayaks, beach chairs, and bicycles are available at no charge. I believe they recently received new beach umbrellas also.

Christiansted, St...
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Yes. Cottages bt the Sea is lovely. It is directly on the best beach on St Croix. Cottages are beautifully decorated. Restaurant next door. Have a wonderful visit.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

It is a great place to stay with wonderful owners. The only downside is that it is a longish drive into Christiansted to go out to dinner. There are some restaurants in Fredriksted but you will want to go to at least a few of them in C'ste when you are there.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
854 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

We've made 9 trips to STX over the years. We lost our fav hang out due to Irma and Maria. We have repeatedly heard all these great reviews for Cottages by the Sea. So we went to take a look see for ourselves on the last trip. What we encountered was baffling. The Westend Salt Pond is near the property. There was some sort of algae bloom ?? But it didn't look like the red tides I'm familiar with seeing. It smelled really bad and the surface of the water was light brown. It cannot be normal as the odor was overwhelming. Does anyone on island know if this was a rare occasion or what ?? It appears to me that the Westend Salt Pond does not have open water access to the sea. Is this something that happens during the summer months? Someone enlighten me, Please.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Sargassum

See: https:/…

also: https://vimeo.com/272832019

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
854 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Thanx SharonKubie. I had no idea it could smell so funky.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Just wondering if what you smelled in that location could be decaying algae rather than sargassum if the salt pond is not open to the sea where the sargassum could enter.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
854 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

I looked on the map and there wasn't any outlet/inlet from the salt pond to the sea. Although there are some very narrow spots of land defining the pond from the sea.

Christiansted, St...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

There is absolutely no sargassum on the west end beaches in front of Cottages by the sea. Sargassum will knock you off your feet. Open your car window anywhere near DiVi and you'll struggle to stop yourself from vomitting. The smell from the (now -- two weeks later -- since i've been there) dried up salt pond was definitely noticeable on the road and towards the public pool. But on the beach and from the restaurant, etc. I could not smell anything.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 06:59
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
875 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Cottages by the Sea

Well... as far as the smell from the salt pond, I have experienced it a few times over the years. If you get close enough and conditions are right it stinks. It seems to me that if the winds were not very strong, you could get a bad dose of that smell. And as I remember, this was in the years when sargassum was not as prevalent as it is now.

Reply to: Question about Cottages by the Sea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
Recent Conversations