We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

We are fully booked for April (Condo, Flights, Car,etc. )! We are very excited for our first visit Staying at Pelican Cove. I know the beach there isn't a swimming beach but is it snorkelable? Or do we have to go down the beach to snorkel by the hotel? And where exactly do you snorkel there?

Also, I've read the "Where can I snorkel on St. Croix" under "Top Questions", but does anyone know of a more comprehensive snorkel guide for the island that would tell where to snorkel at each spot (left side, right side, around the bend, straight out, etc). Testudo on Grand Cayman has written a great, comprehensive snorkel guide for Grand Cayman and I've gotten a lot of specific info on St. John and even for Eleuthera for that matter,but I'm having trouble finding specific info for St. Croix.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
23 replies to this topic
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Scubadoo,

Unless the Buccaneer has changed their policy, they do not charge for parking. They do charge for beach chair use just like Tamarind Reef, Rainbow and other beaches do.

And if you want to go to Shoys (which is a great beach!), you actually make a right turn BEFORE the Buccaneer gate and stop at the Shoys gate. They take your name once they know you are going to the beach and then let you in. No facilities at Shoys but a good parking lot and a very long, crescent shaped beach with some shade available.

Mentioned in this post
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,509 Reviews
St. Croix
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

The owners/management that is running it now gigio. I don’t believe they know the rules regarding no beach is private within certain guidelines. I know otherss are better educated than I am on this per Scubadoos excellent post above.

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

On St. Croix does a hotel have to provide access to the beach/bay ? On St. John all the beaches are public up to the mean high water mark but their doesn't have to be land access to it, sometimes you have to boat/kayak/paddle board/ swim to it.

Saffie- I'm glad it wasn't my post. I posted while at work and I probably wasn't logged in and clicked off before I noticed. I agree with you that those post should not be removed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on any matter.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

I haven't been to Mermaid Beach since 2015 but when we went at that time the Buc charged $4 for parking most days but not for the chairs. One day we went and the guard said this is your lucky day, no charge today. I haven't run into any issues with any new policies at the Palms but was pointing out with change in staff they may not all be as knowledgeable on the snorkeling yet.

I'm not sure of the exact rules on hotel beach access. I know DPNR tries to require public access when they can (i.e. any new or change in permitting) Last year they tried to get the Palms to add a dedicated public access path to the beach but the Palms never did anything and then the sale happened. But Palms is not preventing anyone from accessing the beach and as long as they don't it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated beach access path at the far end of the property no less.

Mentioned in this post
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
1,125 Reviews
St. Croix
grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

My pet peeve is when a housing development or hotel blocks access to a bay or beach. Nice for them. Not so nice for the general population.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Which is why DPNR will only approve new permits that include public beach access as far as I know.

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Scubadoo-- I think that is great. We love exploring the places we visit, snorkeling and underwater photography so having land access make it easier than having to swim in. PS, I had to google DPNR ! the US had such a gem in the USVI. We can't wait to visit St Croix.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

There is a book "St Croix Snorkeling Guide " available on Amazon:

https:/…

Lots of photographs, and good instructions.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Thank You Mang. I will check it out!

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

My post was removed because I wrote what we saw during our stay on the last two weeks of November. I going to post a Trip Report. Now you can see the contrition on The Rainbow Beach in my photo:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Beach
Rainbow Beach
427 Reviews
St. Croix
Reply to: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
;