We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

We are fully booked for April (Condo, Flights, Car,etc. )! We are very excited for our first visit Staying at Pelican Cove. I know the beach there isn't a swimming beach but is it snorkelable? Or do we have to go down the beach to snorkel by the hotel? And where exactly do you snorkel there?

Also, I've read the "Where can I snorkel on St. Croix" under "Top Questions", but does anyone know of a more comprehensive snorkel guide for the island that would tell where to snorkel at each spot (left side, right side, around the bend, straight out, etc). Testudo on Grand Cayman has written a great, comprehensive snorkel guide for Grand Cayman and I've gotten a lot of specific info on St. John and even for Eleuthera for that matter,but I'm having trouble finding specific info for St. Croix.

23 replies to this topic
Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
878 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

There are a lot of avid snorkeling enthusiasts in this forum and we all have our favorites. I'm not aware of a comprehensive list for St Croix ... but I can tell you there are many locations. My fav is to enter Davis Bay at Carambola and swim east into the current towards Cane Bay and drift back. In just a short distance there is plenty to see and if your a good ocean swimmer go all the way to Cane Bay. The return drift is effortless. You will encounter Reef sharks and my experience is that they are docile. Just be very careful of the current as just west of Carambola it pulls out to sea. I use all the gear ... long fins, paddle gloves etc. For doing the distance it's nice to have a partner but they are hard to find. There are no jet skis and very few boats. The area is for the most part untouched and pristine. Once your on island ask around ... locals will readily tell you their fav's.

Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Yes, for snorkeling you would want to go in front of the hotel. People working there can tell you exactly where to enter and find the best reef area.

Frederick, Maryland
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

There is also snorkeling to the right of the condos. You'll pass a few homes and there will be wood pilings of an old dock. Enter between the pilings. The area has lots of sea grass. Check around the furthest pilings for lobster. I've also seen barracuda in that area so don't wear flashing jewelry.

4. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2017, 02:35

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Was that my response that was deleted for some reason?

When you want to go to a beach that is part of a hotel or near a hotel, do they generally let you access it? Do you have to park outside of the gates and hike in or can you park on the grounds ? Are most of the bays easily accessible? Any that are no-no's?

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
878 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

This forum has someone that has the ability to delete and it happens all the time. If you say anything about the hurricane conditions still existing ... your deleted. Usually it's someone with a financial interest on island that performs the delete and it REALLY sucks. I have made a complaint to TA and they are informed. I'm sorry it happened to you. It happens to me frequently.

Edited: 07 December 2017, 05:05
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Water entry at the beach on Pelican Cove Condos grounds is not practical as there is nothing but coral rock shelf and sea grass just below the water and it extends out quite a distance. The swim area is directly in front of the Palms Hotel restaurant. The storms have done a nice job of clearing out the sea grass and coral rock that had been in the swim area. Now there is pretty much just fine white sand from the beach on into the water for a good size area. The hotel has a new owner and a lot of the old staff are gone now. For snorkeling just enter at the swim area and go straight out as little as 30 yds and then turn left or right to get back into the reef areas or keep going straight out. If you look at google maps you can see long reef in the water which runs from C'sted harbor and ends at the swim area at the Palms. That reef is what makes the beach non-swimmable in front of the condos. I haven't been out there snorkeling in a while but there were several snorkelers there this past weekend.

All beaches are public up to the high tide line and pretty much all hotels will let you access the beach through their property, each one is different with the details. DPNR tries to make sure each hotel provides some minimum public beach access path from the street if not the parking lot. For Pelican Cove you can usually park at the Palms and walk right to the beach. Of course if you are staying at the condos the beach is your backyard, you can walk down the beach to the swim area. Carambola usually makes beach goers park at the lot just above their gate and from their just walk down to the beach. They used to have beach access signs marked along the walk way from the lot, a requirement of DPNR, The signs may be gone now and didn't really mark the best way to the beach anyway. Buccaneer will charge a fee for parking to go to Mermaid Beach and also to use their beach chairs or you can go through their gate to get to Shoys for no charge.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Just curious Scubadoo but have you encountered the new owner telling you that you cannot park in her parking lot, use her beach or get a day pass for her pool unless you are a paying guest?

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

Thanks Dionne, my post either was the one that got deleted or I didn't hit the "post" button. But I think it was mine. I cant imagine what was in it that warranted deletion. Anyhow, basic gist of it was that I thanked you for the info and was excited at the prospect of seeing sharks, which we love seeing.

Scubadoo, thanks for the info very helpful!

Lynne, which owner are you referring to? (just trying to be prepared for a scolding!)

Boston
Level Contributor
6,861 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove

I do not think it was your post. It was someone who had recently visited and they said the island was not ready for visitors. The post should not have been removed as it did not breach any TA rules. This kind of stuff used to happen on the STT and STJ forum when someone wrote something bad about the islands, but did not generally happen on the STX forum. Personally, I hope it stops.

Reply to: Snorkeling at Pelican Cove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted