We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?

Mifflin
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?

Hi, I'm helping a family of 20 plan a trip to the US Virgin islands. After doing some research I was going to recommend they stay on St Thomas for accommodations,then take the ferry to St John or excursions to other islands since they will have children along and there's more to do on St Thomas(?).There are beautiful vacation home rentals on St John but I didn't think there would be as much for children to do on that island and ferry rides for 20 people would get expensive if they go from St John to St Thomas several times. In other words, what is the best island for a family of 20 (with several children) to stay on?

3 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?

I don't even know that you'd find accommodation for a family of 20 on St John but (and I'm not being biased as I love both the islands) I think St Thomas would be the better choice. I'm assuming there would be several rental vehicles involved and the car barge to St John at $50 round trip includes all passengers and all vehicle contents. Conversely, none of the St John rental agencies allow their vehicles to be taken to St Thomas.

St John is gorgeous but for a family of 20 with children, St Thomas offers more variety of things to do.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?

St Thomas also has beautiful vacation rentals of all sizes so keep looking until you find something comparable to St John rentals.

It is cheaper to take car barge to St John for a group.

What are the ages of the kids? You might want to look for vacation rentals near Secret Harbor which is a protected cove with usually calm water but also offers dive and snorkeling options. Also close to St John car and people ferries.

The pirate/shipwreck museum on St Thomas is a great activity for families. Located across from Havensight and probably only open when ships at the dock.

The new bowling alley across from Havensight is also a good family activity especially at night.

I went to Tillett Gardens the other night for happy hour, and thought it would be a good place for kids because of the animals. There are cats, chicks, birds, and iguanas. Live music some nights. Kids can roam around outside.

Melt in Red Hook is very family friendly restaurant with free games.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?

Have you considered multiple condos in the same complex? Each family would have their own space & a kitchen. Especially with kids that might need a nap, quiet time or a snack.

Reply to: Best US Virgin Island for a multi age family of 20?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted