We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

Hi My two sisters and I want to plan a vacation in either St Croix or St Thomas. We range in ages from 60-72. None of us are strong swimmers. I am looking for a place of beautiful scenery; calm shallow and warm waters on a beautiful beach; and historical sites.

Please recommend an island based on this criteria. Please recommend a beach and accommodation based on the shallow, calm and warm waters. I have taken a look at St Croix and the historical aspect sounds pleasing and Buck island sounds beautiful.

Any information would be wonderful.

Regards,

Cecile K

7 replies to this topic
Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

Cecile, you might want to consider posting this identical question on both the St Thomas and St Croix forums. The USVI forum is not read as often. And of course you might get different perspectives from each respective forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g14740…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g14740…

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

St Croix emphasizes history more than St Thomas. The Botanical Garden has slave houses on property. Very few people on St Thomas know about existing slave houses.

St Croix also has National Park historical books and maybe yours. Not on St Thomas. NPS tours on St John are mostly nature oriented.

St Croix also had a maroon community and some hikes explain the history. You have to go to St John to learn about slave resistance and see plantation ruins.

Alexander Hamilton lived on St Croix and some tours include stories and sites from his life there.

Google CHANT for St Croix historical tours.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

I'm a little taken aback to hear that "St Croix emphasizes history more than St Thomas" and confused about exactly who emphasizes it if that's indeed the case.

The history of St Thomas is arguably richer and more diverse than that of either of the other two main Virgins. The St Thomas Historical Trust is a wonderful place to start, particularly its museum which provides a fascinating glimpse into its rich past.

http://stthomashistoricaltrust.org/

That's just a start!

Your other requirements are met on both islands but their topography is very different. St Thomas and St John are volcanic mountainous islands and the white sand beaches are well protected and nestled into small coves (the largest is Magens on St Thomas at a mile long). St Croix was formed by a coral reef; the topography is much flatter, more suited to agriculture than the other two and its beaches are much more open and longer. From St Thomas it's an easy hop by ferry to St John and also to the British Virgin Islands; St Croix sits 40 miles distant from both and stands alone other than its Buck Island sanctuary.

The majority of our visitors on St Thomas opt for condo accommodations and rent a car for their visit so they can get out and about to explore (we drive on the left but max speed is 35MPH and driving is mostly in the 20-30 range).

There are lovely beachfront units at Sapphire Beach Resort which you can see on www.vrbo.com while another great spot is the Secret Harbour resort which rents units directly through their own management. Both of these suggestions are on the East end of the island which boasts the best beaches (Coki, Sapphire, Lindqvist and Secret Harbour are all a short drive from each other) and is also the home of Red Hook with its numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance of each other and the inter-island ferry terminal.

I'd suggest you read all the general information available on the St Thomas and St Croix TA pages and get a better feel for which might better appeal to you - and which might be easier in terms of travel from your area.

Whichever island you choose, you won't be disappointed!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

What time of year and what type of accomandions. (Hotel vs villa vs condo. Ovenfront or oceanview? Is a pool important what are a few if your top things on the wish list

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

St Croix was owned by more European countries than St Thomas and Alexander Hamilton learned the benefits of trade from his work as a clerk for a shipping firm on St Croix which influenced his contributions to the U.S. constitution.

St Croix has 2 forts, sugar mills, plantation houses, Danish colonial architecture, and distilleries.

Until Blackbeard's Castle tours reopen on St Thomas, my opinion is St Croix offers more historical attractions.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

I agree that STX probably has more historical sites that are open and you can go visit. There is a difference between history and historical sites. The two islands also have very different vibes and you should do the research to see which one suits you better. Even though you can find peace and quiet on STT is it much busier than STX is. I agree that you should post on both forums and you will get many different answers on this question.

I have been going to the USVI since the early 80s and STX is hands down my favorite USVI. For accommodation, it does depend on budget. There is Cottages by the Sea or Sandcastles on a beautiful beach on the west side and also , the Palms Hotel mid island and at the other end of the price spectrum and on the east side there is the Buccanneer, the nicest resort on the island (but still very low key). There are a lot more options, including condos if you are open to that.

On both islands you need to rent a car to get around. If you do not want to do this, you need to stay in town and the only beachfront hotel in Christiansted is Hotel on the Cay.

All the accommodation listed is for STX.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 17:36
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
526 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question

If you were my family member or friend, I'd point you to St. Croix.

Reply to: Saint Croix or Saint Thomas that is the question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted