We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks and Caicos in October?

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Turks and Caicos in October?

Hello, this is my first time posting on the forums. I usually just do my research and plan vacations. However, having trouble deciding. My husband and I are considering visiting Turks & Caicos (Grace Bay) in October for our 10 year anniversary. It would be our first time to the island. We've been to Aruba a few times in the past and love it (out of hurricane belt), Grand Cayman and Saint Martin. We’re looking to visit a new island this year.

Does anyone go to Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay) in October? If so, would you recommend October? It would be our first time visiting the island. I’m aware that it’s the latter part of hurricane season and know no one can predict the weather, but I’m trying to get a feel on whether it’s very rainy or if we will truly be able to enjoy the beautiful beaches and sun. Since the draw is the beach, I don’t want to miss out it due to rain every day.

The other big consideration is that food is my husband’s thing (self-proclaimed foodie). I've seen that many restaurants may be closed this time of year. I contacted a few restaurants and the open/close schedule varies (Parallel 23 – Open, Coco Bistro – Should be open , Mango Reef – Unsure, Hemmingway’s – Open, Caicos Café – Unsure, Bugaloos – Unsure). If you’ve been in October, have you still had a great selection of restaurants (fine dining and local) to choose from during your stay? Thanks in advance for your responses.

36 replies to this topic
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

September is the primary month for the restaurants and resorts to close for a while and there are more likely to be hurricanes in September. The later in Oct you can go, the less chance for hurricanes and the fewer closures. I'd say that, in general, after about mid-Oct there will be few closures and plenty of places open so it should not be an issue.

We have gone to TCI about 15 times in late Sept or early Oct. over the past 20 years and, until last year, always had great weather with no tropical storm problems. Last year in late Sept-early Oct we got got hit by hurricane Joaquin which stopped almost all beach activities for 5 days. All other 14 visits we have had excellent weather: sunny, hot, light winds, pleasant nights. There may be an occasional thunderstorm, but they don't last long and most of them are in the evening. Based on our experience, I would definitely be glad to return in Oct.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

Past 40+ years my 3 favorite specific times coming to T&C are mid-August, late October & the week after Thanksgiving for good reason. Made an OFF- the- Cuff mistake last year & came IN early March(too busy & NOT Hot enough). There, I have done your time tested field research because I also have been to those 3 other Islands you'd mentioned. This will be your NEW Island destination beyond that 10 yr. "Anny". DR. JIM

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

We have come to T&C in October the past 2 years and just booked another trip for late October early November. Weather has been great! Last year a couple days of rain that cleared up. As far as restaurants, many good ones are always open. If you come mid to later October pretty much all are reopened by then! We have loved coming this time of year, not crowded, weather and water warm! I say book it and enjoy!

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

Thanks so much to all of you for replies (even the TCI experts)!! I feel much better and will go from tentative to booking. We're going to speak with Val at turksandcaicosreservations (saw that recommendation too) to narrow down places to stay.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

October is actually our favourite month on the island! The island is quiet and the ocean is bathtub warm! Try to go after the 15 th for more restaurant options.

We've been on island in August, October, November and December. Prefer going further south for vacation in the winter months.

NH
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

I've only been hitting great weather during hurricane season on 50% of my trips. We were there for Hurricane Sandy (October) and were turned around in mid flight for Christobol (August).

I've been on Provo in May, June, August, Sept, Oct. Nov.~~~Allfins

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

Last October was much more rainy than the past two Octobers before while we were there. Not a total washout by any stretch but gargantuan puddles from the downpours and we had our first full rainy day on the island ever. I'd chalk October up to maybe a hit or miss month, mostly for the possibility of hurricanes. In the end none of this would keep me from traveling there in October, it's just good to be aware of the "what ifs". Go and have a wonderful time!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

If you can do late October early November, that will increase your husband chances of deliciousness

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

We're planning on the week of October 23rd, so it looks our chances of great food choices will be higher. Also, we don't mind some rain, but didn't want a wash out. Sounds like we should be good to go. We'll be finalizing hotel options this weekend and booking (with trip insurance) and look forward to a great time!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turks and Caicos in October?

My husband and I went in mid October 2014 and the first day was a washout, 2nd half washout and 3rd and 4th beautiful - I'm nervous to go back in Oct because of the weather. I think i was spoiled traveling to TCI my first time in July and it was picture perfect weather. And Grace Bay was like glass. Id say I agree go later in the month of you can

Reply to: Turks and Caicos in October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted