We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quote burried in recent post....................

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quote burried in recent post....................

"Every month or so they have meetings to discuss where to allocate the little money they have next. Top priority right now is more water/boat regulations to protect snorkelers and swimmers." ziggy

it is impossible to underestimate the importance of stricter regulations on boat operators. after witnessing several very danderous/illeagle manuvers by banana boat operators in April, we felt compelled to stop and talk to an inspector in the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Dept. to discuss this issue. He assured it was priority #1, adding that of all the banana boat operators on Grace Bay only 1 had a valid license. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Strict enforcement is on the way and any violation of the rules will be met will zero tolerance. Glad to hear it. And, yes even T&C Police officers and Island Politicians read TA, and when T&C was referred to as "the kill zone" (the officer's words, not mine) in a recent review after a snorkeling tragedy they "stood up and took notice".

Stray Dogs..............heartbreaking!

$16 cocktails.....suk!

Delapitaded buildings....never been on an Island that did not have one (except maybe St. Barts).

dead tourists..............bad PR for any island!!!!

I'm just talkin'!!!!!!!!

Edited: 06 May 2012, 04:19
Windham NH
Level Contributor
157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

So what you are saying is that while swimming on Grace Bay look out for the banana boats they may hit and kill you. Being a first timer in July this is good information. BTW how often does this happen?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

I think the resorts should really consider explaining the bouys that run along most of Grace Bay. I've seen snorkelers outside the swimming area in the boat lane, and also have heard from Captains of boats that at around 4:00 the way the sun set in the sky the light reflects into their faces and have a hard time seeing if someone is that far away from the swim area. There were quite a few people from the Palms paddle boarding in the boat lane, and nothing was said.

Thimbs up to the Alexandra Resort, I noticed at orientation, they did notify, and explain the bouys.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

camke is right, the resorts need to educate the guests and inform them of the rules, swimming in the boat lane is just as dangerous as an oblivious boat captain. Yet I saw people swimming in the boat lane by 7*s everyday......................go figure!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

Sorry meant to say " Thumbs up"

Oh Well we're doing our part...Thanks ttewks1 for bringing this up again.

Indiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

Going to be in Turks and Caicos this July.

Can someone explain the "boat lane" designation to me so I can start talking about it with my boys before we go? How is it designated?

Thanks for the safety advice in advance!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

boat operators are only permitted to pick up or discharge passengers in the lanes marked by by the red and green bouy's. the captain should keep the red bouy to his/her right (starboard) side when approaching the beach. And should keep the green bouy to his/her starboard side when exiting the beach.The key for swimmers is to stay out of the lanes marked by the red and green bouy's.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

It is amazing how many people don't understand the bouys and the rules for swimmers. Good point Camke that all resorts should be providing their guests with information on the bouy system and rules to stay safe.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

I know one boat lane is between the Alexandra resort and the Regent Palms. Anyone know the others? You will see the white bouys that run along Grace Bay that gives you more than enough swim, paddle boarding, floating space.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

The Sands has the boat lane on the east side of it's beach. Boat operators do use it, however, some people tend to drift over into it while floating or snorkeling.

10. Re: Quote burried in recent post....................

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:10