We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
45 reviews
Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

Greetings Provo,

This may sound a silly question, but Avis online chat cannot give me an answer. I know that Provo driving in on the left side of the road, and I can drive a manual, but am terrified of shifting with my left hand AND driving on the left side.

So, are the cars like in Ireland with the driver on the right side or are the cars like in the States with driver on the left?

Thanks!!!

10 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

If you rent from Avis the steering wheel is on the left side. I think the cars from Grace Bay Car Rentals have steering wheel on the right.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

All of the vehicles we've ever rented from Grace Bay Car Rental had the steering wheel on the right. We've found this easy driving on the left - just keep the line in the road to the right of you, and all is good.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

It seems weird until you do it. But it is MUCH better on the right side. However...you will turn in the wipers by accident a lot!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

In all of our cars from GBCR....the steering wheel was on the opposite side than in the US.

Makes it easier to focus on which side of the road to be on.

Mike

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

Very helpful, thanks to all

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
340 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

I just rented a manual from Avis last month, the steering wheel was on the left like here in the US, shift with your right hand. For me personally, I have no problem shifting with my left hand as I've rented manuals in the UK, Malta, Malaysia and other left hand drive countries, but prefer the steering wheel on the proper side as its a constant reminder which side of the road to drive on.

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
302 reviews
7. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

We've always rented from Grace Bay Car Rentals. All of our cars have been right side steering wheel cars. a couple of years ago, Paul from GRCR, told us be sure to put a quarter in the center console every time I turned on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal. When I asked him why, he said with a big smile, to fund the GBCR Christmas party. LOL

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

Funny story, THG.

In the case of driving on the "wrong" side of the road, I like the GBCR with the steel wheel on the "wrong" side. In this case, 2 wrongs make a right.

NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

The car I rented from Avis in August was an automatic and the steering wheel was on the right.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?

I am here now and my car from Payless has the steering wheel on the left. I’ve seen both types on the roads here.

Reply to: Car Rental Steering Wheel? Which side of car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted