We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Transportation

If you rent a car and we're to be in an accident will you have to stay there until everything is cleared up? Someone told us that and now we're afraid to rent. Also, what other types of transportation are available other than cabs? Bikes, busses, scooters etc.

9 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

No other types of transportation - taxis and rental car. There is no public transportation. Some resorts have bikes to borrow, but no way would I bike there. My husband (an avid cyclist) did so once and never again due to ignorant drivers and poor roads.

I'm not sure what to say on the accident question, as we've not have that problem in our 5 visits. There have been plenty of visitors who have come here and had minor accidents and none that I recall have been detained to my knowledge. I would suppose if you had a very serious accident and killed someone you may be detained, but I have not heard of this happening.

Maybe this person you heard it from didn't have first hand information?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

If that's the case I'm going to ram the first car I see. Always wanted an extended stay.

In all seriousness though I don't believe they would make you stay unless loss of life happened. And you were at fault. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

The only way to know for sure is to email the company you will be renting a vehicle from. Unless, someone on here had a personal experience and will chime in.

Level Contributor
259 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

You also rental scooters on the Island

By the way the highway has a speed limit of 40mph and the vast majority of all other roads are 20mph - in general everyone drives slow and I mean some will do 10 mph without a care in the world, you should not worry!

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

A family member told us that. Not sure why they think that. But thanks for all of the input. Scooters may work lol

Edited: 07 August 2018, 09:17
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
848 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Scooters will put you in the hospital if in an accident. Two years ago talked to a visitor with bad scrapes on her entire side from a minor scooter accident. Ruined her vacation. If in doubt just walk and take taxis.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation

I would never recommend taking a scooter, especially in Provo. Locals drive like crazy, tourists drive like Sunday drivers or crazy, people on their phones...absolutely not. Get a rental car or call a taxi.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:03
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation

Dave C - do you actually drive on the island? If you do, I'd like to know where you're driving because the locals and many tourists drive like maniacs. I've seen people blow through stop signs, driving on Leeward is like a free for all. And I live in MA where everyone speeds so I'm used to it. The only place where there's no speeding is the Leeward where many of the roads have potholes that feel like they could swallow a car whole.

BTW, I'm not trying to intimidate anyone from not driving while there. I think it's fun, actually, and we like the freedom of having a rental car. Just want people to understand that if you're from the US, you're driving on the other side of the road and people do speed, but once you're out in traffic you catch on quickly and it's even better when you have a partner saying "left, left, left" like a mantra. Haha.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation

Agree with NEPatriots. And to add to his post. If you purchase their LDW for 9.95 per day, you walk away and get a new car if your rental is damaged. If you decline LDW and use your credit card or something else then you pay all damages up front out of pocket while you wait to be reimbursed through the carrier you chose.

IMO, no scooter. I think it’s dangerous on Provo and agree with MuyLinda.

( I’m referring to Grace Bay Car Rental ) not sure of others

Edited: 07 August 2018, 19:03
Reply to: Transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted