We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Ok, first timer to the island. We are staying at West Bay Club. It is a nice resort with only about 45 rooms. There is a large beach in front and never crowded. The resort offers paddle boards, kayaks, and sail boats as amenities. All are part of your stay and the staff will get you set up for all! We enjoy a nice breakfast Buffet each day with an excellent omelet station. Thanks Rose for making them great.

The true reason we chose this resort is location to snorkeling. We are a short walk to Bight Reef and a short car ride to Smith Reef

Coral Gardens(Bight Reef) has been ok. The back side and right side are our favorites. There is more colorful Coral and plenty of fish.

Smith reef on the other hand has been incredible. We have done this twice. Mornings have been excellent. It requires a little more advanced swimming but the rewards a plentiful. We have seen, turtles both days! Excellent fan Coral, brain coral, enemies, and stag horn coral. Yesterday we were lucky enough to experience an enormous spotted Eagle ray. He had nearly 8 hitch hiker fish. It was a seen right out of Finding Nemo. We als found several lobster. The current can get rough at times but if you start right and drift left it can be easily enjoyed. There is a White House with 2 red umbrellas. It is an excellent entry point and there are two sections of the reef strait out. There is a large channel between. (20-25’ feet deep). Turtles and rays run this channel.

Today we hit the water with Island Vibes. So so much fun. Snorkeling was ok! Reef was nice with lots of structure/ caves/ and drop offs. Excelllent yellow and purple fans. The crew on the boat was fantastic. They kept all engaged and the drinks and conch crevice was great. Iguana Island was fun and we walked to the other side and took a dip in the Caribbean. We had fun diving off the roof of the boat and using the slide.

We have kept it close for restaurant but have enjoyed. Can’t say enough about Somewhere Cafe at coral gardens. Fish Tacos are delicious! Have hit I twice because it’s close and the sunsets we excellent. Went to da Conch shack on Wednesday as they had live music. Great island vibe and location. Service was a little below average. Sunset made up for it

Thursday we did the Fish Fry. We walked as it was right down the street. It was a fun vibe. Lines will get long for after by 6:30 and it looked like parking was tough. Had some grilled shrimp and turkshead brew!

Again the Eest bay club has Ben a great location.

Hey

We have met so many nice people that helped make our stay enjoyable.

Tomorrow: Taylor Bay and where ever our adventure leads.

More to come...

11 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Sounds like a great trip so far! Smith’s Reef is on our list for next trip - where do you park?

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
307 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Thanks so much for the snorkeling. Many folks are very interested in knowing how it currently is before they arrive on the island.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Have fun.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Excellent choice on the West Bay Club. Especially if you are focusing on snorkeling. We enjoyed our stay there. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Keep the reports coming!!

Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

If you take coconut road to the left there is a small entrance between houses at the end of the road. It is a parking area at end of short I paved road.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

There are 3 spots to park for Smith's reef:

https:/…smiths-reef

My favorite spot to snorkel is the big pink area shown on the link so parking at the end of coconut on the left is walk around a rocky entrance and parking at the end of coconut on the right is a sand walk. Both are significant walks.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 21:26
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Anyone have experiences with all inclusive resorts here. Looking toward 2020 never to early to plan. Was hoping things were back to normal after the big storms rolled through

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
307 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

Saturn, let me answer your 2nd question first, yes, things are back to normal.

As for your question about AIs. Suggest you start another thread to ask that question instead of asking it as part of this one. Also, you'll find many past posts from this year about AIs.

hammonton
Level Contributor
111 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

I really enjoyed reading this report ! My family and I visited TCI for the first time in June, and we still can’t stop talking about Smith’s Reef!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

I am SO excited to read about this, as we are staying in one of the two houses at the end of Coconut Rd, by the Marina entrance. Can't wait to snorkle!!!

10. Re: Trip Report 7/31 to 84

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2018, 14:03

Reply to: Trip Report 7/31 to 84
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted