We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provo in March?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Provo in March?

We recently returned from our first visit to Provo in July. We absolutely loved it! Hands down the most beautiful beaches we ever visited! While still on island I told my husband we should book a trip for mid March when I am off work for spring break. There was another gentleman listening in and he said that it is a completely different experience in March and did not recommend visiting at that time of year.

I know March is a busier time so there will be more people. The water temp will be cooler and likely not as calm as in July. And weather, well that's just unpredictable any time of year. Please share your experience with visiting in March. Anything drastically different from July that I should know prior to booking? I honestly can't imagine any time of year being a "bad" time to visit Provo.

Thanks!

19 replies to this topic
Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provo in March?

March through Easter is easily my least favorite time of the year.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provo in March?

Why is that exactly Tewks?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provo in March?

We did one trip in March, the third week of March. We had stellar weather, but our condo hotel (Villa Renaissance) was overrun with families, some with three generations, and with one Gramma heading out at the crack of dawn to reserve a gaggle of umbrellas and chairs at both the beach and the pool. Management finally caught on after a few days, but with big groups it's hard to reign them in enough so couples traveling together can have a peaceful experience.

Keep in mind, what I find crowded others may not, and I was comparing that stay with several others where we were sometimes the only people on the beach at Villa Renaissance, but visiting the island the third week of March through the end of April now is something I wouldn't do again.

Level Contributor
272 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provo in March?

I will be there in couple days for another visit. My last trip was the last week of March, over Easter, during spring break. I'll have better frame of reference after seeing the differences next week and am happy to post upon my return, pros and cons.

As a first time visitor in March, I was thrilled with the amazing Grace Bay and other beaches. Compared to other beach resort destinations, particularly over week of Easter, I was struck by the lack of crowds on much of Grace Bay and across the island. My stay was at the Bianca Sands where my family had no issues getting beach or pool chairs easily every day and the resort never felt crowded. A week at Beaches, or a higher density property, would have been a different experience that same time for us. As a first time visitor, my expectations were likely different than from repeat travelers so keep that in mind!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provo in March?

Too many people for me. The resort at 100% in March into April is totally different from the resort at 100% in say January or February. Not sure what the deal is, maybe a different clientele. This is my take on it after years of trying to figure it all out. During the "spring break" time, families try to cram as maybe people in a condo at the cheapest rate. A one bedroom had 9 kids and two adults. Count! That is 11 people in a one bedroom condo that should have no more that 4. I see kids sleeping on cots set up on the decks all the time during the "spring break" time. This particular time is also the worst for overly high maintenance children and adults.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provo in March?

Yes Suzysme I would love to hear your thoughts after your next visit!

I wondered if the biggest reason for avoiding March was the increased number of families for spring break. If so, I think I could deal with that. I’m guessing that’s the case pretty much anywhere that time of year. We stayed at the Sands in July and there were quite a few families. Not sure if the resort was completely full or not, but I was never annoyed by any families nor did it feel overly crowded.

We would be traveling with another couple this time who typically vacation in February to Punta Cana. We’ve told them how fabulous our trip was. I don’t want to build their expectations and then deliver a sub par experience.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provo in March?

Yikes! Yes that is a lot of people in one room! How do they get away with that?

It’s hard for me since I follow a school calendar with my job. I either travel over a holiday, spring break, or wait until summer. We’ve always just gone in the summer, but PA winters are getting harder and harder for me to deal with. We thought it would be nice to travel this year when the weather is still crappy at home.

We definitely have a lot to think about and discuss.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provo in March?

mccaribbean - I say give it a try as you'll never really know for sure if it's for you or not until you do.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provo in March?

They get away with it because they haven't told anyone they are coming in with all those kids. Resorts have their hands tied. Once they are there, what can the resort do, throw them out in the street.

I do agree with muylinda though. This was just my opinion, BUT, if your hands are tied with timing, to go or not go, i would go. Maybe check out the not so kids friendly resorts, that would definitely help.

Level Contributor
309 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provo in March?

The guy is a moron book it and enjoy

Reply to: Provo in March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted