We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paper straws?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
903 reviews
Paper straws?

Has anyone noticed the use of paper straws instead of the plastic ones? If so where? Many beach communities around the World are starting to make this change. Some are stopping the use of straws period. I hate to see plastic straws, cups, bottles (or any trash) on the beautiful Grace Bay beach. Hope everyone leaves the beach cleaner than they found it. Peace.

55 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
62 reviews
21. Re: Paper straws?

That's awesome lobomago! I wish Dunkin Donuts would stop using Styrofoam. I can't imagine how many cups they go through a day...

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
5 reviews
22. Re: Paper straws?

Lobo.......hopefully other businesses on island will follow your lead! Nice to hear!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
903 reviews
23. Re: Paper straws?

Those of us who are a little "older" remember when paper straws were used almost everywhere.

New England
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
24. Re: Paper straws?

I use stainless steel or reusable bpa free straws daily and take them on vacation with me. I always request no straw and try to get the place to fill my stainless steel cup rather than any plastic cups...

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
28 reviews
25. Re: Paper straws?

I saw something like this on TV. I don't like to use straws but I imagine if you really liked one, you could bring this with you?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNZ8XBS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528892448&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=portable+straw&psc=1

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
189 posts
111 reviews
26. Re: Paper straws?

Hemingway’s do use plastic straws, Styrofoam and plastic cups, seems pretty standard for all the places I’ve been so far on TCI.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
189 posts
111 reviews
27. Re: Paper straws?

And the styrofoam containers, they come wrapped in yet another plastic bag, the plastic cups have a plastic lid and a straw. I’d be interested to know why posters say Hemingway’s is a no straw establishment when I can clearly see it is not, which is a real shame. Even cocktails come with 2 little straws and that’s every restaurant I’ve been to here.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
903 reviews
28. Re: Paper straws?

Am happy to report that the Pavilion Pool Bar does NOT serve drinks with plastic straws!! They say paper are on order. They proudly have cards at the bar announcing this. Congrats!!!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
5 reviews
29. Re: Paper straws?

Great to hear IrishFan! Baby steps, but it's a start for sure!

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
28 reviews
30. Re: Paper straws?

People are catching on! Don't ask for a straw!!

…cnn.com/2018/…index.html

Reply to: Paper straws?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted