We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grace Bay Storm Surge

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
413 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Grace Bay Storm Surge

Does anyone have any intel on the extent of storm surge that may have impacted Grace Bay specifically in the RWI area? Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
NH
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grace Bay Storm Surge

I'm a little "wobbly" on some of my wind direction interpretation of Windguru but...it looks to me like there were afternoon waves of 17 feet this afternoon and I don't like the direction of those waves in reference to RWI/CM.

I need AmateurGO to confirm or correct me on this. He's the sailor! ~~~allfins ><>

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grace Bay Storm Surge

Hey Allfins !

Yes, that is what it looks like on windguru, 5.2 meters or about 17 feet... however... that would be the size of the saves breaking out on the reef: those will not make it in to the beach. Just how big the waves are on the beach and how far they come up the beach will depend on whether there was any significant storm surge form the storm/wind. The problem with the storm surge is that it is twofold... If there was, say, just a 2 foot storm surge, that extra 2 feet would allow a lot more of the swells/waves to make it over the reef and then the surviving waves would be starting out higher up the beach before they break.

I am no expert on this at all, so take this with a few grains of salt, but I would guess that a storm surge into Grace Bay of anything over 2 feet, combined with the predicted waves would cause some saves to come all the way up the beach and possibly flood some resort areas. Hopefully it would not get into the buildings, but might be close. I sure would love to see a video of just what Grace Bay Beach looks like about now; one way or the other, I'm sure it would be impressive.

Anyway, hopefully there was no significant surge, in which case the waves should just rearrange the recently deposited sand along the beaches.

NH
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grace Bay Storm Surge

AmateurGO, I need you for back-up when I start explaining wind directions I'm interpreting on Windguru. ...I know more about fish!

The outer reef breaks a lot of that surge being forced into GB. From shore it was impossible to guess the size of the waves breaking over the reef during Sandy. It was impressive! Maybe 8 footers??? ...But Sandy's waves only caused minimal damage (other than demolishing CM's dock).

!7 foot waves are big enough to cause some concern. I think that's about what they saw during Irma. But this time the wind direction is different.

And just because there seems to be some confusion about "storm surge" here is a definition. A storm surge is a mound of water produced when a hurricane moves across a large body of water. Driving wind "pushes" the water so quickly that it "piles up" on the water in front of it, producing a mound of water that is higher than normal sea level. ~~~allfins ><>

Reply to: Grace Bay Storm Surge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted