We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

Our thoughts and prayers are again with everyone on Providenciales and throughout the Caribbean.

We are aware of the Charity drives organized by various resorts, but, are there any community food banks or local shelters that are organized as non-profits to accept donations? We are aware of the Provo Children's Home... we're inquiring about resources for the elderly, disabled, unemployed, etc. especially those displaced by Irma.

Also, have Graceway Gourmet or IGA organized any food drives? Is there a mechanism to get resources to Belongers without formal connections to the Grace Bay resorts?

If the reports of Maria's strength are accurate, Provo and all TCIs are going to need a lot of help. Please feel free to PM the info if you prefer. Thank you and stay safe!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

Potcake Place is probably the best known shelter. Turks & Caicos Relief Fund is another for collection of monies for the people of the Islands. Dr. Jim

Edited: 20 September 2017, 00:21
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,997 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

There's a RedCrossTCI but if you give through their site it might not go directly to them, just relief in general (all places hit by Irma)

Being such a small island, there isn't a permanent agency for anything other than the few mentioned

You can try TCI Rotary Club, and Caicos Dream Tours has always taken food and clothing and furniture to those in need on North.

But other than that, you'd have to give to these charities we've mentioned, really the only way

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

Ugh. Thanks Blamona and Dr. Jim. That's what I feared. I have the contact info for one unaffiliated Belonger, but, there has been no response to my emails. :(

I'll try to get creative. After Katrina, I try to avoid donations to the Red Cross. On St. Thomas we are supporting My Brother's Workshop and on St. John - St John Rescue.

Our thoughts are with everyone in the path of these storms. Although this will be unpopular on this forum (has that ever stopped me? ;-p), we, personally, do not support animal rescue programs during natural disasters. People before Pets. Thanks again.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

"People before pets". Yes I agree with that. Please be safe!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

<<"People before pets". >>

Both need our assistance! Do you not realize that some people refuse to evacuate because they have pets and do not want to leave them behind? Can't speak for the Turks, but this was one of the biggest lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina, so during Harvey & Irma more shelters were willing to take pets. There are countless photos of people being evacuated with their pets and pets being rescued after being left behind. Animal groups and complete strangers stepped in to save pets and move them to safety in shelters and fosters throughout the US. This is not so easy to accomplish on islands in the Caribbean

The groups working on animal rescue are usually quite different than those assisting people, so if people want to donate to animal welfare/rescue organizations, it doesn't mean that they are giving higher priority to the animals. It may simply be that there is a lot less help available for the pets than for people. I'm sure no matter what form of assistance people wish to give, it will be greatly appreciated.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

www.HIRTAC.org

Will get funds quickly to the islanders in need.

Graceway does have a plan in effect to make donations which you can do when you purchase your own groceries. Perhaps they have soemthing on their website as well.

7. Re: Dedicated Food Bank &/or Homeless Shelter on Providenciales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2018, 09:49