We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal West Indies

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Topic
Royal West Indies

I have reservations for a week at Royal West Indies the third week of November but I will receive a full refund only if I cancel before Sept 19. Any info about the condition of Royal West Indies and the surrounding area after the hurricane is appreciated.

20 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal West Indies

From RWI Facebook page

Statement Following Hurricane Irma

STATEMENT FROM ROYAL WES INDIES RESORT – SEPTEMBER 11, 2017:

Hurricane Irma passed through the Turks & Caicos Islands a few days ago, and we are pleased to report that all of our staff safely weathered the storm. Royal West Indies did not have any guests in-residence when the storm arrived. The Royal West Indies fared well in the storm and initial assessments show the resort to be structurally intact, albeit in need of mainly cosmetic repair. We believe we will be able to undertake necessary cleanup and repairs quickly. This is all subject to as the Islands' infrastructure and labor availability. We thank all our guests and partners for their patience during this difficult time.

Unfortunately, there is some flooding and damage throughout the Islands, and we are deeply saddened to report that some members of our team have lost their homes. The Royal West Indies Resort is committed to supporting those affected by Hurricane Irma in our community.

We will continue to provide updates regarding our operations and the islands overall as additional information becomes available. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with our neighbors who have already been impacted as well as those still in the path of the storm.

"this is a response to a question about opening"

Unfortunately I don't have pictures to share but I'm hearing that clean up is well underway. We will be operational in a couple of weeks, well before November.

Edited: 17 September 2017, 09:29
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal West Indies

There are no major conditions @ Royal West Indies that would warrant or prevent you to cancel those plans 2 months from now. Of course, you can cancel(full refund) before September 19th if you have any trepidation. You can re-schedule when you feel comfortable to go( I wouldn't). Unless something else happens, RWI will be up & running that 3rd week of November. Dr. Jim

Edited: 17 September 2017, 09:34
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal West Indies

Thanks. Is there somewhere I can find real time pictures on the internet of Royal West Indies and the surrounding area?

Indianapolis...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal West Indies

I am scheduled at RWI for a week beginning 10/5. I talked to the US reservations office on Thursday. I was told an insurance adjuster would be on site Friday or Saturday and they would be able to confirm or cancel my stay by Monday or Tuesday. According to the employee I spoke to there was some damage to a building #5 and the adjuster was coming to determine the severity. I will post again when I talk to RWI in the next couple of days. Sounds like you'll be fine by November.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal West Indies

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Indianapolis...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal West Indies

Spoke to RWI about an hour ago. They plan to open 10/6 and were confident my 10/10 visit was a go. Of course Marie is the X factor now.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
365 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal West Indies

We are scheduled to arrive 11/25 for 2 weeks and have no worries.... as long as Maria doesn't cause much more harm to Provo.

Plymouth...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal West Indies

We are going the same days and also for two weeks. We are still trying to decide what to do. Somewhat concerned about restaurants and infrastructure. And now Maria. What a mess!!

We have heard conflicting info re: the hotel. We've stayed there a lot and guess we'll have to see what happens now. Some staffers are staying there. Several have lost their homes. Would hate to displace anyone.

Indianapolis...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal West Indies

We are planning on being there 10/17. I firmly believe we're going to have a nice vacation.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal West Indies

We are staying here the 2nd and 3rd week of November. We have been looking forward to this vacation and we will be bringing supplies for the staff. It's awful watching all of the pictures from the news and social media. I'm so glad we will be able to help in a small way. I will be talking with AA to see if they can wave some bag fees. Re-posting this from another thread on Tripadvisor:

staff & employees at every resort and restaurant have similar needs/wants. If you are able to help please consider checking with the resort you are traveling to .....

plastic tarps to cover damaged roofs

- lanterns

- batteries for lanterns

- flash lights

- batteries for flashlights

- diapers stage 3

- mosquito repellent

Women

--- clothing various sizes

--- under clothes

--- toiletries

--- basic footwear