We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

Atlanta
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

My trip to St John at the end of September had to be cancelled due to the hurricane damage. Thankfully, my villa rental and airfare were refunded in full. I also had travel insurance (Cancel for any reason) but thankfully didn't have to use it.

Determined to get in a nice tropical non-Florida beach vacation during my child's fall break if I can, I checked packages for T&C, since it sounds like the resort area is decent enough to visit (has power, water, bldgs intact, restaurants open, gas), and Grace Bay is on my bucket list.

Surprisingly, the package for The Sands is priced very well, around $1500 total for 2 people for 5 days. Unbelievable.

So my question is, am I being a glutton for punishment to even consider booking another vacation during this time in that area of the Caribbean? Would you do it?

I considered going further south, but the airfare prices at this late date are too high for my budget. They actually dipped for Provo. From what I can tell, Provo is an easy short nonstop flight, and an easy getaway for a short but relaxing vacation in a beautiful place.

Wwyd? Is this nuts?

18 replies to this topic
Atlanta
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

I wanted to add, I see two more "tropical disturbances" making their way across the Atlantic. It seems like it takes about a week for these systems to make their way across the Atlantic and close to the Caribbean. If I could, I'd wait til the week of or late the week prior, and see what the chances of hurricane activity are. But I'm not sure the airfare prices will stay low enough through that time frame.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

Also, if I do decide to book the package, I will again purchase CFAR trip insurance. After seeing the impact of Irma on my vacation plans, I will probably never travel without it, especially during this time of year!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

Skyglazer, I would book that deal in a NYC second!

Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The Sands is a nice resort that only had mainly landscaping damage from Irma (like most of the other resorts on GB). Hemingway's is the restaurant on property and is loved by many of the TA community.

Most of the shopping and restaurants are located not far from The Sands in the Regent Villages area, just east down Grace Bay Road.

On your way from the airport to the Grace Bay area you will pass through some of areas on the island that did not fare as well as GB. The hardest hit areas on the island were Blue Hills and Five Cays. They are some of the poorer areas so construction of buildings was no where near the cat 5 code used by the resorts on GB.

Have a great time! We're headed down in 30 days and we can't wait.

4. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 September 2017, 21:20

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

With that low direct R/T airfare, staying @ the Sands & trip "fail-safe" insurance in your back pocket, I would go. As for "Nuts"? I don't think so. Maybe a little bit of trepidation lingering from your recent travel snafu. Dr. Jim

Edited: 16 September 2017, 21:37
Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

I would def go, amazing price! The Sands is a great resort and already they are almost all cleaned up.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

So Wednesday I received a call from The Sands regarding our reservations from 9/17-9/21. I was told that the resort would be reopening on 9/23. Just like what has been stated on this forum and elsewhere.

I now just received an email from the resort stating, amongst other things, that the resort is reopening on 9/30.

We had to cancel altogether, so this doesn't effect us, but now I'm curious as to when the resort will actually reopen.

Anyone rebook 9/23 to 9/29?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

Paul, I wasn't aware of that later opening date, thank you for that information.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

We did talk to Mark (the appointed gm) right before leaving (this past Thu) and he said Sep 30, however if they do catch up on all the things they have to fix (which tbh didn't seem to be many) then they'll open Sep 23.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1

Thank you Diana. I just read the updates on the NOAA site about TS Lee and Maria. I've decided to postpone a tropical beach paradise vacation until after hurricane season. Too much uncertainty at this point, and I don't want the hassle of another round of cancellations and heartbreak.

Funny enough, I said to myself, maybe this would be a good time to visit Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard. Sigh. Then I saw an advisory that Jose could impact that coastal area.

Who knows where we'll end up in 2 weeks. Maybe the west coast, maybe a cabin in the mountains. We'll figure something out.

Reply to: Is this crazy...The Sands 9/27 - 10/1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted