We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Providenciales
Level Contributor
863 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Arrived yesterday fearing the worst. Tourist areas are in good shape. I'm at Seven stars and it is running as normal. Both Seven and the Deck are open. Many restaurants open including Jimmy's Dive Bar, Pizza Pizza, Danny Buoys, Thai Orchid, Garam Masala, Japanese Place, Big Als, Coco Bistro and many more.

Some shops are open, Gourmet IGA and regular IGA open and we'll stocked with fruit and Vegetables and all usual stuff. Bottled water is available.

Beaches and water are beautiful as always, seaweed in spots. Roads are clear.

Power is restored in Grace Bay, Leeward,Leeward Highway. Crews out working in other spots. Will take up to 3-4 weeks for the entire island.

Airport undamaged.

Grace Bay Car Rentals are renting cars, unsure of others.

All in all, if you are in a resort and it's open, there is no reason to cancel your trip. If you are staying in a villa, obviously you should check on the condition and the power situation.

I'm own three places on the island that I rent out. All suffered only slight damage. Once the power is back in my area I'll be ready to accept guests.

Parts of the island have been severely damaged. Chalk Sound seems particularly bad and of course many people in poor areas with poorly constructed homes have lost everything. The reality is that TCI is a tourist driven economy so these people will benefit indirectly by you coming. Additionally, if able, bring supplies or contribute to one of the aid organizations working to help these people.

Any specific questions, ask away. I only brought my phone on this trip but I'll do my best to answer questions.

59 replies to this topic
maryland
Level Contributor
4,948 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Seatrump, thank you for your update, keep them coming, any more info on progress on the other islands would be welcome too if you hear.

I do have a question, any info on Bob's Bar??

Providenciales
Level Contributor
863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

I had a cold beer at Bob's last night. It's the closest to my house. Unfortunately it has been "remodeled" and Bob has moved into temporary digs nearby. Still as philosophical as ever....

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Any word on Mango Reef? Supposed to have wedding reception dinner there.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Good to hear seatrump, too bad about Bob's...

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Please keep info coming as you can! Thanks!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

I don't have much else to share. I have to go home tomorrow as my wife is also on an emergency international trip for completely unrelated reasons. I just have to say that I am unbelievably impressed by the people of the Turks and Caicos islands. Apart from the speed of the recovery it is their attitude that has been unfailingly cheerful. From immigration at the airport to the cashier's at IGA, everyone has been cheerful and upbeat. They want tourists to return. I went to TCI fearful as to what I will find, I'm leaving full of optimism.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,948 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Seatrump, thanks for the info on Bob's will pass it along to those concerned.

Thankyou for all the positive thoughts, we do know many who are suffering badly, but their optimism for the country is keeping them going. I for one will keep the joys of every positive moment for them all.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 06:50
Ambler Pa, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

I am looking at booking Pine Cay and Provo in December.

do the Islands look desolate of green plants? or spotty. sounds like some areas worse than others.

are the islanders getting the help they need from Government or aid agencies?

I coming....

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

Attitude can be everything in situations like this, so I am glad to hear it is mostly good. I am eager to get back, but have a few weeks to wait.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma

A lot of trees and plants have lost their leaves. I know from prior experience that these grow back incredibly quickly, in weeks.

The British government is here now. Both C130 and C141 airplanes have been in and out of the airport. Aid agencies are doing some work but more help is needed. If you are coming any time soon, bring Diapers.... They are light and ask the airline if they will waive the fee. I brought two big duffle bags full of noodles and energy bars and when I showed JetBlue what was in them they waived the bag fees. I'll be back end of next week and will bring Diapers then

Reply to: Trip Report. Arrived yesterday one week post Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted