We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
268 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

I've been continuing to plan a multi-island itinerary for 2022 (hopefully) and have gotten a ton of help from the people on this forum. I've put together the following plans and am wondering if I can get some input on if this is a good plan. I'm leaning towards Grand Turk 7 days, Salt Cay 4 days, North/Middle 7 days. Does this seem like a good split of my time between these islands? We have been to North/Middle before and it is one of our all time highlights!

Travel dates

We are hoping to snorkel/dive with the whale and I'm wondering which of these dates would be best to travel for likelihood of success with this. I know I might be on the edge of peak for any of these but it's what work allows.

1/14 - 2/1

1/20 - 2/7

3/17 - 4/4

For travel between the islands, I'm thinking of the following plans:

Friday, arrive Provo no later than 3pm, fly to Grand Turk, spend 7 nights

Following Friday fly or ferry to Salt Cay, spend 4 nights

Tuesday ferry to GT, fly to Provo, then ferry to North/Middle for 7 nights

Following Tuesday ferry North/Middle to Provo for return flight

Is there a better plan that you would recommend or is this likely the most efficient? It seems that getting to/from Salt is the most restrictive part of the trip. I believe I've got all of the connections worked out but would love a double check to make sure!

Thank you!!!

9 replies to this topic
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
148 helpful votes
1. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

OK, let me start by saying I have not yet been to TCI (hoping to go 3/22), but I have been doing a lot of research. I have personally spoken to a snorkel/dive trip that (with a marine biologist) recommends early to mid March, as the calves are more mature and the mothers less protective/on alert. So if I were you, and being GT is the first of your stops, the middle of March should be perfect I hope you and I both get to visit these islands, stress free. Asking for covid free is pushing it !

Edited: 22 August 2021, 03:31
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
148 helpful votes
2. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

A PS to my post....I am talking GT :)

Grand Turk
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

OP, are you able to go to Salt Cay first so that you don’t have to return to GT to fly back to Provo?

I’m assuming you are going back as there isn’t a flight from SC to Provo on the day you want to return.

Regardless, I would fly between islands and not take the ferry. If the water is rough, it won’t run and won’t be dependable.

I agree with the above posts. For best odds to see the whales, pick the March option ( bonus the water will be a bit warmer!) But, book an excursion within a couple of days of your arrival.

Hopefully you can make it all work out!

Edited: 22 August 2021, 05:26
Grand Turk
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

I meant to add, your breakdown on days on your multiple island hopping is perfect IMO. It’s exactlywhat I would do based on personal experience. Enjoy!

Edited: 22 August 2021, 05:47
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

Sounds like a great itinerary to me. I would pick the March dates. Mid Feb. to mid March is the best time. I would sign up for whale watching excursions for both Salt Cay and Grand Turk. You never know what the ocean conditions will be like so better to have a couple of different days to look for them. We love renting a golf cart on Salt Cay to explore the Island. We missed our flight once from Provo to Salt Cay. Since they don’t have daily flights, we ended up flying to Grand Turk and catching a whale watching boat over to Salt Cay. Better to fly from Grand Turk to Salt Cay since the ocean can be unpredictable. We have stayed at 5 different places on Salt Cay over the years, our favorite is no longer available but there are several other good options. We stayed 8 days on Grand Turk at The Osprey Beach Hotel. Loved the hotel and location. We usually do day trips to North/Middle, have stayed a night on North, several good options there and also liked the looks of the villas at Dragon Cay Resort on Middle Caicos.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 07:46
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
268 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

Thank you all for the very helpful comments. It looks like March it is! Hugely helpful to have your input on that and get that decision made.

When it comes to order of islands, I thought about going to Salt Cay first but was worried that as of now there are so few flights to the island that if anything got waylaid with our flights to the island we could run into issues. If that happens with GT we just take the next flight or next days flight.

I appreciate the comments that we are best to plan to fly to Salt vs ferry. That leads me to 2 additional questions:

1- It appears Intercaribbean is the only airline that flies there. Today they only have flights scheduled going to and from Salt on Monday and Friday. This only goes out to Aug. I contacted them and they said they are waiting on a renewal of contract with the Salt Cay airport or something. Does anyone have an idea of during peak season in March, do they typically still only do Mon and Friday flights?

2-It was mentioned there’s an option to hire a private boat to go between GT and Salt. Anyone have any names or contacts for this?

Thank you so much for your help. Super excited to start getting lodging booked!

7. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: today, 10:38

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
1 review
8. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

Islandgirl43, please tell us your favorite places to stay on Salt Cay and which one is no longer available. I want to see if my research is correct. Thanks in advance!

Grand Turk
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Save

TravelBug, I can’t say for sure, but with Salt Cay only having a population of about 100 people, I’m sure flights will remain at 2 per week.

In regards to a private charter to SC from GT, I would suggest Emerald Escapes. Last update, it was $350.00.

Reply to: GT, Salt, North/Middle Travel Itinerary Schedule and Dates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.