We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
2 reviews
Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Well it looks like we beat the storm by less than 24 hours otherwise our trip report might have been a more interesting, extended report. This was our third trip to Provo and the first one with just my wife and I. We stayed at an Ocean View studio at the Sands. The goal of this trip was RELAXATION and that is exactly what we got. Unlike the other trips, we did not have anyone else with us and we did not do any excursions. That may be sacrilege to some, but with 3 littles at home, it was exactly what we needed. Nowhere to go and nowhere to be. So... this will mostly be a "where we ate" report.

Nov 7

Flew in on direct flight from Toronto with WestJet. Landed, extremely quick through customs, picked up car at GBCR, and on the beach by 3:00! We were greeted with a shower that quickly passed and a double rainbow. Very cool way to start the trip! Went to Somewhere for dinner and half price bottle of wine. We've gone there all three trips and love the atmosphere and drinks, but I've been underwhelmed by the food twice now. I had the fish sandwich. We went to Graceway after to get a few snacks and many drinks for the week. I love my Turks Head Amber!

Nov 8

We simply love Hemingways breakfasts so we started with that. The Huevos Rancheros. Love it! Spent the day on the beach.. got some Hemingways chips and salsa and a couple cocktails on the beach in the afternoon. For dinner we walked over to Pavilion for their Thursday night special and they weren't open.. no one really around or knew what was going on. So... we walked back to the Sands, got in the car, and went to Mango Reef. I got the jerk chicken, which was delicious! My wife ordered the seafood pasta, which was a very generous portion but too "seafood-y" for her.

Nov 9

Started another early morning at the beach. Staring at Grace Bay just never gets old. For lunch, we had Shay Cafe for our first time and loved it. Affordable and tasty sandwiches. It clouded over for a bit so it was a good time to walk around town and pick up some souvenirs for the kids. After finishing the afternoon at the beach, we headed to Cocovan, another first for us. What a cool place! Casual food truck atmosphere tucked in the palms.. very much our scene. So we made our order and waited.. and waited.. and saw others getting their food who had arrived after us. So I got up and started looking around. Ran into the manager, Patrick, and told him how long we had been waiting. Well he apologized profusely and explained there had been a printer error right when they opened. So he gave us another round of drinks (I had rasta rum punch and wifey had amaretto sour) and got our food to us within minutes. I had the peppercorn beef tacos and wife had sesame beef taco. DELICIOUS! Then Patrick sent over a plate of churros.. also on the house. Phenomenal. We were so happy we promised we'd be back. That is how you take care of your customers!

Nov 10

Woke to another perfect day. Started on the beach, moved to Hemingways for another breakfast, followed by you guessed it, another afternoon on the beach. Got cleaned up for dinner and went to Le Bouchon, which was my favourite from last trip. We each ordered steak au poivre, which was extremely good, but the service was not good at all. When we left, we both felt like when we weren't ordering a bottle of wine, or an appetizer, or a dessert, that we weren't a priority at all. It wasn't a nice feeling and not at all how we were treated 2 years ago. Just because we are going to have a $100 bill and not a $300 bill like other tables around us doesn't mean we should leave feeling that way. So I can't say we'll be back, despite how good the food is. We aren't high rollers and we are selective with the higher end dinners we can afford on the island.

Nov 11

After another blissful morning on Grace Bay, we had another "first" and drove out to da Conch Shack. What a great place! I had the conch combo (fritters and cracked with peas and rice)... so good!! I even picked up a shirt there. Friendly people, fun spot. Will be back. For dinner we went to Hemingways and ordered off the lunch menu and a couple cocktails. Watched the sun set and had a peaceful evening on the beautiful grounds of the Sands. I never have any complaints about that place.

Nov 12

So to make a long story short, we missed the Sun Charters sunset cruise on Friday. We'd done it twice before but still wanted to go out again. Didn't want to go with anyone else for double the price but still wanted to see some more of the island. We found our way to Chalk Sound (another first!) and ate lunch at Las Brisas. What a view! Sensational. I had a regular burger and fries. Very tasty. Wife had what ended up being her fav meal, which is no small feat! The coconut snapper tacos. Take notes!

After a visit to the Potcakes, we went back to the beach before our second trip to Cocovan. Patrick the manager was there again, though off duty, and recognized us right away. Chatted some more, ordered another sensational meal each: chicken skewers for her and blackened grouper tacos for me. I think this is my new #1 place to go.

Nov 13

Our last full day was spent soaking up as much of the sun as we could. I went for another walk to the Seven Stars area and back. Had a "fresh" fruit platter from Hemingways as a snack. It was okay. Picked up a pizza and salad from Graceway for lunch. Also just okay, but something affordable and filling. Then our last dinner on island was at Opus, which doesn't get a lot of chatter here, but my wife absolutely loves it and our tradition is to go for the filet and a bottle of red to cap off each trip. It did not disappoint and I am quite sure that tradition will continue. Side note. After dinner we met up with Brad aka "2theC" as our stays at the Sands overlapped for a couple days. Great guy! I'm sure we will meet again.

Nov 14

Spent the morning at the beach until we reluctantly had to say goodbye to the Sands. Had one last late breakfast at Hemingways before packing it up. Had an uneventful flight home, although if it were 24 hours later, it looks like it would have been QUITE eventful and I hope everyone on island is safe and power is restored soon.

I don't have any readily shareable pictures, but I did post a bunch on IG / FB for those who see me on there. I'll see if I can get some posted here though.

Anyway, that's it, until next time!

17 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Thanks for sharing, Ryan! Loved all pics on FB and Instagram. Glad you had a wonderful relaxing vacation. Sometimes you just need to get away from the kids!!! And nothing wrong with not doing anything but relax and eat!!!

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
307 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Ryan, nothing wrong at all to come to Provo and just relax! We do it every trip we make. Love the morning walk, breakfast, beach, dinner, bed, repeat thing. It works very well for us.

Enjoyed reading your trip report and glad you and your DW were able to relax and enjoy Provo.

We met Patrick this October. Very nice guy! Glad he took great care of you.

Booked your return trip yet?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
581 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Great report! We go soon and our goals are the same as yours. First trip ever I haven’t booked an excursion and I am fine with that!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,284 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

I wish CocoVan was open for lunch! When service doesn't have a glitch, we get our food very fast, which would mean more beach time!

I had the same thing going at Le Bouchon, I should have ordered wine?

Thanks for the great report, and you did dodge a big one! Was suppose to be a hurricane, but fizzled out, then just over Provo, a crazy storm. Power out entire area

But somehow I think you would have made the best of it!

PS . 2theC is awesome!

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,227 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Happy you guys had a great time! Sorry to miss you, but appreciate the invite. Did you like the unit that you received? I remember you and I were going back and forth on some options. Thanks for the trip report!

Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Sounds like our trips overlapped by a few days. If y'all had made the sunset sail on the 9th we would have been on the same cruise!

And glad you made it home. A tropical storm started coming in when we were on St. Barth one year and we ended up being on the last flight that made it out for a week!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Thanks for your trip report! And all of your wonderful photos on FB.

It sounds like you and your wife like the same things on the island that my husband and I do - The Sands, Hemingways, and just relaxing. We've enjoyed our dinners at Le Bouchon, and it's a fair point that more attention is given to some guests vs. others. This last trip down, none of "the" restaurants were open and we realized that we didn't miss them, and actually preferred the few low key, off the beaten path places that we went.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
751 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Excellent report. Las Brisas at lunchtime is always magical...the colours of the water is out of this world. Maybe try LUPO next time as an alternative to Le Bouchon, it's less pricey and quite delicious. We've also been to cocovan and really enjoy their flavourful dishes.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Hi everyone

Thanks for reading my report. I've made a shareable album of some of the photos I took. I think this link is good for 30 days:

https:/…0-5Eqx5qg30wKTcKuHeT4zzTA

Enjoy!

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
307 reviews
10. Re: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Reply to: Trip Report: Nov 7-Nov 14
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted