We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
145 posts
19 reviews
Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Hey ya'll. I depart from Los Angeles, and usually fly through Miami. This time, however, my layover in in Charlotte on the way back home. The layover is only 1 hour. Should I be worried not making my connecting flight to LA?

38 replies to this topic
Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Do you have time to apply for Global Entry? 1 hour is pretty tight. At least it is on the way home. Getting home later is a much better problem than getting to Provo later!

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:16
Calabasas...
Level Contributor
145 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

@Rebecca, one person in our group does not have a Global Entry. Keeping my fingers crossed that Charlotte has a MobilPass. :/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

We usually connect in Atlanta and I know 1 hour is not enough since you have to clear customs.

I think 1 hour is cutting it very close!

NH
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Once upon a time CLT "was" an easy connection ...that is no longer the case!

Even with GE one hour "can" be a close call. The problem often seems to be in waiting to collect and re-checking baggage on international flights. Having said that, in general too many international flights are being funneled through CLT and Customs and Immigration just cannot handle the volume.

On May 22, (a Tuesday evening) my guess is the line for Immigrations was at least 3 hours long. I had never seen anything like that in CLT EVER! The line for Immigration started at the base of the escalator...100 yards before you even got to Immigration.

You might make your connection; but I would be planning on spending the night in CLT and call it "dumb luck" if you do make your LAX flight.~~~allfins ><>

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
460 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Good Luck even with GE.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
145 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

We won't be checking our bags. I wonder if it would be possible for one of the AA representatives to speed us through the lines. I don't know how I have overlooked that. UGH!!!

NH
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Everyone still has to go through Immigration. Everyone is in the same boat. Without GE, you are in line with everyone else. ...And the insane thing is everyone I have ever talked to on an AA flight, the PLS-CLT connection is a "one hour connection." It doesn't seem to matter where on Earth they are traveling.

I have no clue as to why AA has scheduled their flights so tight other than the fact that their departure schedule out of CLT (especially in the evening) only has about a 50% on time performance record.

My normal connecting time for my flight home is 1 hours 6 minutes. We have GE. We've never missed our flight...but I complain bitterly every single trip. The connecting time stinks. ~~~allfins ><>

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:32
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
92 reviews
8. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Going to PLS yes, going home no, not enough time. You have to go throughcustoms and security.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:49
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
992 posts
152 reviews
9. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

We've tried it thru Charlotte with an hour layover and missed by 5 minutes and they don't hold the plane. We ended up overnight at an airport hotel and flew out the next morning.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
145 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the flight from Charlotte will be delayed.

Reply to: Booked an Airfare, but now I am PANICKING.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted