We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat rentals

Washington
4 posts
Boat rentals

Hi Traveling to Tobago in Late March, wondering if anyone has a line on local boat rentals, and a fun place to stay. We have a place for the first week, but are looking for a place from 3/7/06 to 3/13/06.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
1. Re: Boat rentals

You need to pretty well stay with local tour guides. Frankies tours...(ask for Supercool and tell him Debbie and Cathy from T.Bay sentyou)...they are pretty good, but watch the rum punch!! lol. You can have SO many housing opportunities while you're there, just use common sense.....tons of places to stay...just make yourself clear on your expectations. Have fun and enjoy the wonderful people. Keep common sense about you as tourism is taking it's toll on this beautiful little isle!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
2. Re: Boat rentals

You stated you are looking for another place after your first week? WHat kind of place are you looking for? Can recommend 'party' areas right down to totally private at a very reasonable price...? need to express more of your needs...ie: kids, privacy, beach, etc.....good luck...will look for your response

Washington
4 posts
3. Re: Boat rentals

Thanks, looking at Brazil at this point. Plans developing right now, no kids, not a lot of partying, more into nature, fishing and checking out the local people and places. Maybe someplace that offers a trip through part of the Amazon? We will want to spend at least two to three days in Trinidad, possibly a weekend. What do you know?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
4. Re: Boat rentals

Sorry, Can't help you with Brazil at all. Altho I've been many times, I'm no expert on Trinidad either. Tobago is my little gem.

Maybe post on the Trinidad forum. Good luck.

Washington
4 posts
5. Re: Boat rentals

Well it appears Brazil is out now, we would almost have to travel back to Miami and then down to Brazil, not worth it.

Thats ok though, it sounds like we can have a great time between Tobago and Trinidad.

What are your favorite things to do, see, places to go, and places to eat there?

Do you have a favorite place to stay and why?

We like to snorkle, hang out by the water, sail, fish and try different kinds of food.

We would love to find a place to stay close to good surf fishing and snorkeling spots.

We like to be able to access tourist stuff, but don't like to be in the middle of it.

I understand the beach and waters on the west side are not as rough as on the east side?

We would be most interested in a boat rental or going fishing with someone local.

Thanks for any info you care to share.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
6. Re: Boat rentals

If you're not into partying, Tobago is probably great for you! They have nature trails and bird sanctuaries. Also, starting in March is the Leatherback Turtle egg laying season.A must! Tobago has also received awards for their rain forest. I suggest a trip by a government approved boat to Little Tobago. Very nice. You can also go to a couple of bird sanctuary where they feed the birds daily and it's great for photos. You can do endless nature 'stuff' in Tobago....my favourite was walking thru the rain forest for about 4 hours and coming up on a waterfall that was beautiful and 'out of the way'...not Argyle...but not sure where we were! Have fun...lots to explore...get to know the locals on a realistic level. Get a good 'taxi' driver...if youdon't know anyone locally. I can suggest Leroy. Just get off the plane and when you go out the door at the airport...ask for him. Tell him Cathy sent you. He's great! Have fun and let me know.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
7. Re: Boat rentals

You didn't mention if you wanted to rent a car or not. If you do want to rent....lots of places to stay. You would probably like to stay down around the Store Bay/Pidgeon Point area. That's the high tourism area....but not like any other Caribbean spots. It's very do-able and not overly touristy! You'd probably get bored at other spots! In the Store Bay area, you pretty well have everything....fast food,local food, local shows, quick access to beautiful beaches...airport....taxis...etc...yet not crazy by any means! If you want extreme nature and snorkelling/diving/solitude....head further North to Castara/Speyside/Charlottesville....its all beautiful!

good luck....let me know how you made out.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
8. Re: Boat rentals

Sorry, I keep re-reading your email and think of more stuff! Tobago is NOT like Dom.Rep. or Cancun or Puerto Rico etc. It's very local and that's the beauty of it. I've been going for almost 19 years and call it my 'other' home. Married a local, but i'm from Canada. Snorkelling off Pidgeon Pt.is not worth it...the reef is dying from tourism..walking on the reef...anchors etc...suggest going on 'daytrips' or to Little Tobago. Diving is great in Tobago....most shops are great.Speyside and Charlottesville (sp?) is beautiful and pristeen. Pidgeon Point is nice tho...altho they are going thru changes......good for the day...food...drinks etc....that's the most touristy you'll get.Beautiful beach tho! If you are wanting to rent a more quieter place, I can suggest a few. Apartments with cleanliness, kitchen, fans, privacy, close to groceries (if need be) local bars....or do you want an all inclusive? Shut me up!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
9. Re: Boat rentals

PS: west is best...altho north can be good too!

Washington
4 posts
10. Re: Boat rentals

After a bit of time I have places to stay figured out, We will be in a Condo (Sandy Point) for the first week, near Crown Point, and we will split the second week up between Speyside Inn and Castira? spelling?

Does you Taxi Driver friend take people on for the day? We are thinking of either renting a car or scooters. We will be there long enough we will need to be able to get around some.

We plan to snorkle, fish and hike. We would love to get to know some locals.

We don't really party, but do like to have a few drinks in the evening, suggestions?

I have been researching the area, it sound wonderful. I tried to find a field guid for birds for the area, but no luck. I figure I can find one around there.

Thanks for the info!

Get answers to your questions about Scarborough