We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 ; Bequia

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
34 reviews
Trip Report Part 1 ; Bequia

Part 1 - BEQUIA BEACH HOTEL

Day 1 :We flew from London Gatwick to Barbados and then SVG Air to Bequia. Easy and uneventful travelling. Our transport arrived to take us to The Bequia Beach Hotel. I was expecting a taxi but in Bequia this clearly means riding in the back of a pickup truck with no seat belts trying to hold onto the sides,each other and our luggage whilst going up and down some very steep inclines dodging goats and dogs! Nerve-racking!! We were greeted with a much needed strong rum punch - very nice. Great view from our room and we liked the brightly coloured houses and fishing boats - truly Caribbean.

Day 2: After breakfast we took a taxi into Port Elizabeth (we were chilled this time as we knew what to expect) and enjoyed a short stroll around the town. Purchased some snacks and browsed the jewellery and craft stalls. Some nice items and very friendly stallholders who were happy to chat and not at all pushy. Back to the hotel for lunch and relaxing on the beach. I must be honest we were disappointed with the beach (Friendship Bay). Photographs had shown white sand but it was a mix of yellow and black sand and really gritty. Water was very choppy so we were not tempted to swim. Pleasant to wander along the beach and to the end of the jetty. Quite a lot of construction happening at that end of the beach. That evening was the manager's cocktail party and Caribbean barbecue. This was fun with live music and people dancing. We were surprised how many of the guests were English. We usually go to Anguilla (just as hard to get to from the UK) and very few guests are English. We certainly felt like the newbies as this hotel obviously has a lot of repeat guests.

Day 3 : We took the shuttle bus/truck to Princess Margaret Beach. Again the sand was not really nice but the water was beautifully clear. We made our way to Jack's Bar and then a day trip catamaran with about 60 people arrived. Too crowded for us so we walked along to Lower Bay but felt we'd prefer to be back at the hotel so had a cold drink at Keegan's and ordered a taxi. That evening we went to Papa's for dinner - nice cocktails. We all had the lobster which was quite overcooked but the sides were ok. Some live music playing which created a cheerful atmosphere.

Day 4 : Spent our morning on the beach dodging repeated showers and by early afternoon it was clear the sun was not coming out. We took a taxi up to the northern part of the island and visited Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary. We had a very informative tour and I found it more interesting than I had anticipated, it was like watching a turtle ballet. Our next stop was Sugar Reef for a mid-afternoon beverage to cheer us up as it was pouring with rain. All the beaches up this part of the island were heavily covered with sargassum - such a shame. Dinner in the hotel then we packed up as sailing starts tomorrow.

2 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
486 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 ; Bequia

iluvdanny, good and interesting report. Appreciation your honest view point on the Beach conditions.

Disappointing though to hear your thoughts on the Friendship Beach and Princess Margaret's. I was planning to book a trip next Christmas or New Years, also staying at Bequia Beach Hotel. Back up thoughts were one of the villas on Princess Margaret's. I knew the sand was more brown from lots of reading and pics, but what you've described doesn't like nice (although nonwhite) sand.

Is the water more churned up than typical this time of year?

Sunny South coast...
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 ; Bequia

Thank you for your travel tales. We arrive on April 6th so will be interested in part 2!

Reply to: Trip Report Part 1 ; Bequia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia