We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

The Mandalay is back in the Caribbean with a new owner and many of the fun, same crew. They sail out of Grenada and go to the beautiful Grenadines, with other itineries coming. The ship has been gone for 5 years but has come back newly refurbished with better rooms, A/C and other ship type improvments. She is GRAND! and we loved being on her again. Check out sailwindjammer.com or Windjammer Sailing Adventures on Facebook or call 1888-972-7245. So relaxing, so much casual fun. No foo foo ships for me!

Bermuda
Level Contributor
60 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

We are just back from a cruise on the tall ship SV Mandalay now sailing under the flag of Windjammer Sailing Adventures (www.sailwindjammer.com). One week sailing the beautiful Grenadines from Grenada to Bequia and visiting all the fabulous islands in between. The crew are wonderful, the food is great and the ship is comfortable and sails like a dream.

No shoes required onboard, no fancy clothes just swimsuits, shorts and tshirts. Dressing for dinner means putting on clean shorts and shirt! Plenty of beach time plus there are excursions on offer. So relaxing! We highly recommend it!

Edited: 01 August 2012, 22:43
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

did you try any of the excursions? what were the costs and any you wish you had tried..

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

We did a snorkel trip with a contracted Bequia dive outfit which was fair. I say only fair because the coral had been devastated by a storm but was coming back. and was lovely but sparse. We went to two spots, the Devil's Table, and Moon Hole, Devil's table being the best. It was $55pp. The people that did the scuba dive trip said it was fabulous, and the ones that did the island tours said they really enjoyed them and felt they were worthwhile at $25pp. The turtle sanctuary trip is great but we had done that with the old Windjammer some years ago. I wish we had done the Grenada island tour.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

Thank you for all of the info! We are looking at going next summer.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

Don't miss the island tour on Bequia and Grenada. For Divers a dive is excellent on Bequia as well. Did you visit Mayreau? In the past the Mandalay did a pub crawl on Mayreau and took up donations for the small school there which was much appreciated.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
60 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

There was a pub crawl, known as The Cultural Walk', on Mayreau during our trip although my husband and I did not take part as we have done it before. A good time was had by al from the reports we received!!

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
7. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

this almost brings tears to my eyes

october 1985

grenada to st. maarten in as i recall 10-13 days or so

memories of full sail, full moon with greg isaacs and "Night Nurse" coming thru the speakers

rocked and caresed by the waves

did the fantome and poly also

she was always my favorite

STL
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

Have had the privilege of being on the gracious Mandalay again for back-to-back weeks of 9/16 and 9/23/12. The Mandalay was always my favorite ship and with the demise of Windjammer, I never thought I'd see her again. Windjammer Sailing Adventures literally has brung her back from the brink and with so many improvements - all the hot water you want, Individual AC in the cabins. So many of the old crew was on board it was just like coming home.

I cannot praise highly enough the efforts of WSA and Captain Sly and all the crew of the Mandalay for the efforts they had gone to in making sure each passenger had an experience of a lifetime. To the launch drivers, to the purser, to the bartenders, the cabin stewards who always delighted with some new towel art/arrangements - you can tell they love what they do and it shows.

The food was excellent - the chef even went the extra step and prepared some lobster we had gotten and it was exquisite.

The itinerary ranged from gorgeous to even more gorgeous - and the one day off of Tobago Cays snorkled with about 12 turtles, a couple stingrays and a small nurse shark. Sure beat working for a living!:)

Love the type of vacation where you get up, throw a bathing suit and tee shirt on and you're good to go for the day.

I would say if you get a chance to go do so and you'll never regret it. When you hear the wind billowing through the sails and can hear the water cutting beneath the hull - for me it's soul soothing.

Go and enjoy!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

The breeze in your hair, a splash of salt spray and the majesty of the sails reaching out to catch the wind. A sense of excitement and freedom leaves me speechless while listening to the strains of Amazing Grace. This is my description of sailing on a tall ship.

I first met St. Vincent and the Grenadines sailing with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. That started a love affair with these beautiful islands and wonderful people for the past 21 years and counting. Many of the crew and Captain Sly himself are friends who took what was thought to be a lost dream and turned it into a reality. WJBC is gone but the new company Windjammer Sailing Adventures is on my short list for the next vacaction. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and making new come Feb or March 2013.

A shout out to Lucelle from Tranquillity on Indian Bay St. Vincent. A no nonsense right at home place to stay when not sailing. My home away from home. 3 of my favorite restaurants Gingerbread, Mac's Pizza and Tante Pearl's..

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
10. Re: Tall Sailing Ship Mandalay is back

Don't hold your breath. The Mandalay has been sitting anchored off the coast of Grenada for a month. Cruises were cancelled for lack of customers.

JB

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...