We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for medical elective

Newcastle
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Advice for medical elective

Hi,

I'm a medical student from the UK and am carrying out a 4 week elective in Milton Cato Memorial Hospital this summer (July/August) with another female student.

I was just wondering what are the best things to see/do in St Vincent and the Grenadines while we are there? We will probably be in the hospital until mid-afternoon through the week but will have most evenings and weekends free. I think we just miss the carnival which is a shame!

Also would anyone recommend any accommodation either near the hospital or with good transport links to the hospital? Somewhere with transport links to nice beaches would be good too.

Finally, anywhere to avoid?

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Advice for medical elective

Explore the island. You will find with 4 or 5 weekends you can see it all. Hike the volcano. Montreal Gardens. Parrot Walk. Kingstown, forts, market, botanical gardens, etc.

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Advice for medical elective

Hi Orchid,

Am a medical student in Cardiff looking at electives in the crribean for 2013, was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for some places you looked at / offer any advice, or even who you got in touch with at milton cato,

Thanks

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Advice for medical elective

orchid..in the afternoons you can catch the local taxi/bus from the station just downtown Kingstown and go out to Villa Beach or Indian Bay for swimming and snorkeling, not far at all. In addition to exploring St Vincent, i would def spend a weekend on Bequia. Take the Fri afternoon ferry over and particularly in the Summer you will get good rates (ck Keegan's on the beach at Lower Bay or Julie's Guest House in Pt Eliz). Do an island taxi tour and enjoy the lovely beaches. Bequia is much easier to walk around than than mainland St Vincent. Several of the locally owned restaurants have reasonably priced meals. As for places to "avoid"....for 2 young females...anywhere isolated at night especially downtown Kingstown. You might begin reading "The Vincentian" online for more on the News there. If you have the time hopping on the ferry down to Mayreau/Union and taking a snorkel trip to the Tobago Cays is awesome.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Advice for medical elective

Obxpat - thanks for your advice its really helpful! Would you recommend anywhere to stay in St Vincent itself? We're definitely spending a weekend in Bequia and hopefully will visit the others islands too.

Tim - a lot of my friends are going to Barbados and a few to St Vincent too, they seem to be the most popular places! A couple are going to Trinidad too but I wasn't keen on that due to the high crime rates. I'd just email anywhere you think you'd like to go and see if they can offer you a place because a lot of it comes down to where will accept you! The email for Milton Cato is kghsvg@vincysurf.com. Hope that helps.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Advice for medical elective

sent pm with an idea

Aberdeen, United...
1 post
6. Re: Advice for medical elective

Hi Orchid,

I am just doing some research as I am also hoping to go on my medical elective from Aberdeen Uni to St.Vincent. I havent arranged anything yet just looking into things.

I am assuming you completed your elective in St. Vincent. Hope you had a great time. Would you recommend it as a good elective destination. Can I also ask if you don't mind what accomodation you stayed in while you were there?

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Advice for medical elective

Tranquillity on Indian Bay. It is listed on Trip Advisor.I've known Lucelle 20 years and she will treat you like family. Her accommodations are efficiency apts with views that are breathtaking. Nothing fancy but the price is right and the apts are immaculate. Lucelle will take the time to teach and show you everything there is to know about St. Vincent and if she isn't able to do it will refer you to someone reputable who can.Bequia is a great place to spend a weekend. Be sure to try some of the restaurants. Best ice cream is at the Gingerbread Mariannes, for pizza Mac's

As far as safety use common sense. Much of the area near the ferry dock in Kingstown is industrial do not go down at night and if returning after dark take a taxi. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Kingstown, Saint...
1 post
8. Re: Advice for medical elective

Hi, you can contact laerrand@ hotmail.com. They help you get around, guide you to supermarkets, stores, prepare your apartment, run whatever errands you may have at any time,, so you have more time to study and tour the country. It's a very lovely place, all the best.

9. Re: Advice for medical elective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 12:46
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...