We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Can someone give me some pros and cons? Besides cost difference what are some of the biggest differences.

Also, it's my first time going to Nevis (june 09), how long does it take (usually) to get from landing to the ferry. i.e. how long is customs, and how for is the drive to the ferry/water taxi?

Thanks!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
182 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

The ferry is simply easier. The ferry’s run on a regular basis and there are usually 4-5 in service. The cost is $8-12 per person and it will take 35-45 minutes to cross. Customs will take 30-45 minutes depending on how many people are arriving on your plane. If you are near the front of the line it will likely be 15 minutes. From the airport take a 10 minute, $10 taxi taki ride to the dock. On the Nevis side there will be many taxi drivers waiting for the ferry and depending on where you are staying it will likely cost $25-35. Do negotiate for a better price.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
182 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

roper1313- Here is a ferry schedule-

http://boatschedule.leytonms.com/index.php

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Private Water Taxi

- Faster

- Personalized service

- Possibly the beginning of a friendship or business relationship that can be utilized on future trips

Passenger Ferry

- Departure times can be "flexible"

- Ferry terminal in St. Kitts can be "marginal" meaning you might run into some "characters" which IMO are harmless, but may make some uncomfortable

How much time it takes from landing to the ferry terminal depends on a lot of factors that are out of your control. Generally, passing through Customs can be anywhere from 30 min. (on a darn good day) to more than 90 minutes depending on how many people are ahead of you, how many Customs Agents are working, how fast they are processing people through and how quickly you or your taxi driver can get to the terminal.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Let me add my $.02 worth -

As pointed out the time it takes to deplane and clear customs is variable due to the factors mentioned. I done it it less than 7 minutes when doing only carry-on and was first off the plane. When, I've checked luggage it usually takes 20 to 30 minutes but could take longer. The thing is it will take as long as it takes - you have no control other than if you can get a seat near the plane's door. I'm not sure about USAir or Delta but if you fly AA from MIA or JFK they use both the front and rear doors to deplane. If you fly AE out of San Juan they deplane from the rear. Liat and Winair (out of SXM or ANU) fly rather small planes so where you sit doesn't make much difference.

It's less than a 10 minute ride from the airport to the passenger ferry terminal. There are plenty of taxis meeting the plane.

Most water taxis pick ypu up at either Raggae Beach Bar or Turtle Beach (both on the southern penninsula) for the trip to Nevis (about 15 minutes). It will take about 20 minutes and $30US to get you there by taxi from the airport so factor that into your comparisons.

If you take a water taxi from Port Zante (in Basseterre very near the passenger ferrk dock) you'll pay lees for the taxi (about $10US one way) but a higher rate for the water taxi than travelling from the southern pennensula so again, factor that in.

As pointed out if you take the passenger ferry there will be plenty of taxis to take you to your resort. Depending on where you are staying taxi fares can range from $10US to $30US.

If you decide on a water taxi you'll also have to make your own arrangements a land taxi to take you to your resort on Nevis. The water taxis usually drop people off at Oualie Beach and there usually are not any taxi just waiting. The boat captain or the front desk clerk at Oualie can call a cab for you. Expect to pay the same $10US to $30US fare depending on distance travelled.

One more thing, if the seas in the narrows between St. Kitts and Nevis are running "high" the water taxis might not be operating (depends on wind velocity, wave conditions and size of boat) so it is wise to call the water taxi service you chose before leaving the airport 1) to let them know you are on the way and 2) to confirm they are able to make the crossing.

What this all boils down to is cost (passenger ferry is significantly cheaper) vs. convenience (water taxi is quicker).

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Thanks for all the quick reply's. We're going to Nisbet for our 10th wedding anniversary. My wife found Nisbet back when we were planning out wedding/honeymoon and at that time we couldn't affoard it. Now, can we affoard it? Maybe, but we're going anyway!

I want to make the trip as stress free as possible for my wife and just wanted to make sure we are not stuck at the ferry dock for a long time.

Sounds like we'll have close to 90 minutes from when we land AA out of Miami until the 3:00 ferry leaves. We'll just have to weight the pros and cons and make a decision.

Thanks for all the help.

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Arriving by water taxi is a great way of starting your vacation.

It's also very simple. Sea Brat is the one I use. Call the skipper Kobi on 869 662 9166. He will arrange for a taxi to be waiting for you at the airport in St Kitts. It's usually a guy called SeaMoss (869 662 5132). He charges $12 us per person for the journey from the airport to the boat. Last time I chartered the boat personally it was $75 us. If you share it's obviously less.

Let Nisbet Plantation know and they will arrange for a taxi to be waiting for you at Oualie Beach (friends of mine had the fare comped!)

Nevis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

The cheapest crossing is to take a taxi from the st kitts airport to the ferry dock in Basseterre and then the passenger ferry to Nevis. The problem is the ferry dock in st kitts is not exactly "tourist frendly" with various characters that can be regarded as either interesting or as a harrasment to the novice.

Another excellent alternative (but more expensive) is to take a taxi from the airport along the scenic SE peninsular road to the car ferry at majors bay. One can join the ferry as a foot passenger to Cades Bay in Nevis and taxi from there to your destination (best to set up taxis ahead of time).

The most convenient route (and most expensive) is to have the Oualie Beach Resort (reservations@oualiebeach.com or tel (869) 469 9735 organise the transfer for you. This involves a taxi from the st Kitts airport to the dock at Reggae beach and a water taxi to the dock at Oualie for a one way price of US$50/person.

John Yearwood

Oualie Beach Resort

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

I have lived on the island for a number of years and consequently crossed the 'Narrows' dozens of times on board all the various vessels.

However, yesterday I tried a new one which has left all other crossings in the shade! I was fortunate enough to hitch a ride on the charter yacht 'Feisty'. The crossing just happened to be at sunset and a more dramatic and romantic arrival under sail could not be imagined.

There was also a touch of humour. The taxi collecting us at the airport was 'Tangerine Tours' a brightly coloured open touring bus that blasted out bagpipe music as the 'arrivals' doors opened. Its driver, Christian, wore a bright blue african outfit accompanied with a purple dyed beard!

The yacht 'Feisty' can usually only be chartered for full, half day or sunset cruises but I am sure her owner Miles Denne, would work something out for a Narrows crossing. Miles can be contacted on 869 664 9171 or www.sailnevis.com

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

Thanks for all your input! I think I might do the water taxi. We're spending quite a bit already so why not splurge on the Taxi. Nisbet will make the arangements and provide complementary transfers from the airport to the water taxi. I suppose if the water is too rough for the taxi we'll just head to the ferry and save the $$.

10. Re: Water Taxi vs. Ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 06:50
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations