We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

My husband and I are on our "St. Kitts Trip" countdown - yeah!!! And I was wondering how the bugs are down there. I plan on taking OFF bug spray, will that do the trick. Unfortunately, I am very prone to mosquito bites. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! BTW, we are staying at the Marriott. Thanks!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Deep Woods Off works well for me.

Avoid the beach at dawn and dusk, when mosquitos are most active. I've heard that Avon's Skin So Soft works well, to but I've never tried it.

The Marriott is a LOVELY property, but be sure to leave the resort and explore the island.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

It addition to the hints given by KC you can lessen your attraction to mosquitos and no-see-ums by not wearing perfumes, colognes, scented hair sprays, after-shaves, etc. The "sweet smell" from those types of products acts as an attractant for bugs.

surrey
Level Contributor
27 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

We got back just few days ago. I'm usually a mosquito magnet , but strangely I was barely affected on St Kitts, and we went to many beaches including at dusk. So it my not be as bad as you think?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Was just there and never saw or even felt a mosquito and we were out at night, have fun!!

niagara falls
Level Contributor
523 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

I lived there for a year and there is absolutely nothing to worry about regarding bugs....you should like the sounds of cricket's though.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Actually the "churpping" sound you hear at night are tiny tree frogs, not crickets.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

I would not agree with those who say there is no problem with bugs in St. Kitts. Only you know your own tolerance and reactions to biting insects. So,if you know you have a problem with bug bites, DO stock up on what usually works best for you, though I would have to agree that Deep Woods Off seems to be the best. I am somewhat allergic to a variety of insect stings and I have been attacked by all sorts of biting insects on three of my last four trips there. I found that Deep Woods Off and a variety of DEET sold in the local pharmacies,in small brown bottles, simply called Insect Repellant, seem to work better than Skin So Soft.

Also, the trick to staying bit free, is to reapply the bug-repellant frequently. Like, after swimming, or even if you are just hanging out and find yourself perspiring a lot. Every few hours, whether swimming or not, you may have to put on more of the stuff, if you want to be bite-free. Also, DW OFF now comes in individually wrapped "towelettes" that you can pack easily and bring with you anywhere - beach, restaurants, bars, hiking ... whatever, without having to haul out a spray container everywhere you go! Good luck and have a great trip!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Thank you everyone for the input! I actually hadn't seen the packets of OFF before. I will definitely stock up prior to our trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Wyfo05, You should consider purchasing your bug repellant on island. The US has strict drug rules on the over-the-counter repellants that can be sold there. You can get better, more potent repellents on island. Also Caribsurfer's advice against wearing perfumes and sweet smelling colognes is very good.

Riverdale - New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs in St. Kitts...help!

Hi! We are here at the Marriott now in St. Kitts and I am super prone to bug bites and was also very concerned so I bought 'OFF' and poured it into a small empty 3oz bottle to carry on..I spray in on only once before we go out to dinner and haven't had one bite at all, I haven't seen any mosquitoes either..Flies yes, but mosquitoes, no!

You will love it here!!

Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts