We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living and working on Saint Kitts

1 post
1 review
Living and working on Saint Kitts

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend was offered a job at RUSVM and we want to move together to the island. I am a little worried about finding a job for myself there, it seems like a tough market. My unique skill is the fact that I’m bilingual, I speak English and Portuguese. I have experience working with tourism and conservation. What is the current job environment like? Is it easier to find a job once you’re on the island?

What are the best international health insurance providers?

1 reply
Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Living and working on Saint Kitts

First, the moderators will probably close down this thread because the subject matter is not "travel related".

Second (and you are probably not going to like this bit of info) since you and your boy friend are not married YOU will not have any residency status on the island which means that legally you cannot reside on the island for more than 6 months consecutive months and/or no more then 6 months in any calendar year. Generally speaking upon your arrival you'll be granted a 30 day visitor's visa which you'll have to renew every 30 days until either of the above limitations are met. After that time you'll have to leave the island until your next "6 months window" opens up. You might want to check with the administration officials at the Ross Vet School as they are very familiar with immigration requirements for spouses and non-married partners of their employers.

Third, while your BF will already have a Work Permit arranged by the Vet School YOU will not be allowed to work without one for yourself and they are difficult to get.

You must have a "unique skill" that is actually in demand on the island and your potential employer must prove to the local Minister of Labor that there are no locals qualified to fill the position. Even, if those requirements are met there's never any guarantee the Work Permit will be issued.

I have no idea whether or not your skill in speaking Portuguese will be considered "unique". Everybody on the island speaks English so that ability isn't "unique" and there are a great many locals who have skills in tourism so that too will probably not be considered very "unique" unless you have lots of very senior level management experience with high end resort companies such as Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Hyatt, etc. Can comment much about positions in Conservation as it is not a significant industry on the island.

To answer your other question, there's a high level of unemployment on the island mostly among low and mid-level workers. It is not easy for locals to find employment and even harder non-locals because of the Work Permit limitations.

Caribbean Insurers, Sagicor,and Nagico are a few of the companies that offer health insurance in the Caribbean - you'll have to do your own research to determine which one is "best" for your particular situation. They are probably not going to offer policies that anywhere near as comprehensive as the types of policies you have "back home".

You might also look into purchasing Medical Evacuation Insurance (SkyMed, MedJet Assist, AirMed, etc.), in the event you come down with a serious ailment or medical emergency and you'd rather be treated back in the US rather than locally.

Reply to: Living and working on Saint Kitts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts and Nevis