We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th birthday vacation summer 2019

NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Wanted to go to Westin next summer to celebrate my 50th bday with husband and teen daughter... Any input on hotel is greatly appreciated.. How is location of hotel .. are there nearby restaurants and shops to walk to or would we need to rent a car? Do they provide airport shuttles for guest or would we need a taxi? Any pros or cons for this hotel? Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Westin is lovely and situated on a huge sandy stretch of beachfront! Recent renovations only enhanced this property. Lovely upscale island vibe with some of the nicest hotel shops....we stay In nearby condos and I always love shopping at the Westin shops for gifts and personal clothing items!

Close, easy walking distance to several restaurants of all types and at all price points. There are no shuttles from airport to any hotels; as you exit the air terminal simply go to the taxis dispatch desk and you will soon be en route. Easy, friendly, affordable but you need to pay in cash....about $25 plus tip from GCM to Westin. Should you decide to have a rental car to explore other areas of the island you can easily arrange to do that via Avis right at the Westin.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

I love the Westin because it’s situated in the best section of SMB. Yes, there are restaurants, shops etc within walking distance. The beachfront is one of the most spacious hotel beachfronts. All of the watersports that you could want are right at the hotel and if not, water sports ops will pick you up at the hotel. You do not necessarily need to rent a car, but most people want a car so that they can explore the island & check out the many & varied restaurants, as well as various shore diving locations. There are no shuttles to the hotel: When you exit the Customs Hall, there is a taxi dispatcher who will direct you to a taxi (actually a van) & will tell you the price to your hotel....no haggling. I think that the hotel will be perfect for your celebration!

NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Thanks lovecqyman, really appreciate your insight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

HAHAHA....Lovecayman & I were typing at the same time. Same info too!!!

(Yes, the taxis take cash only....US or CI$...no credit cards)

NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Thanks for the info cmgparsons !What moderate priced restaurants are close by that I cold check out?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Familiarize yourself with the caymangoodtaste.com website. Use the Seven Mile Beach map to see restaurants near the Westin, see menus and prices and see what suits your tastes and budget. There is a diner, Eats, across the street from the Westin and Sunshine Grill and Gino's for nearby budget friendly starters. There is also a liquor store across the street if you want to save money and make drinks in your room rather than pay hotel prices. Food and drinks from the outside, however, are not permitted on the Westin's beach.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 05:55
NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Thanks kiddos. I will check out the website for restaurants. That's really helpful!

North Richland...
Level Contributor
498 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Just a vote for Sunshine Grill for moderately priced food in a casual setting. They have a full bar, the fish or shrimp tacos are great, Havana Chicken to get into the Caribbean cuisine world, and surprisingly, one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten. It’s a great place for lunch or a break from the usual pricey dinners.

NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

thanx texdentist! Will check them out!

:-)

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
177 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019

Maybe not particularly aimed at the tourist market, but there's an excellent Japanese restaurant named Yoshi next door to Eats, and in the same block as Sunshine Grill.

Reply to: 50th birthday vacation summer 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations