We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

We're staying at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites from June 1 to 11, and will be with our two 20-something sons. Are there any reasonably-priced pubs on SMB where we can have dinner and beer without paying a lot -- ideally, where the appetizers and food are good?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

Go right across the street to The Lone Star. There are also places like Ragazzi, Chicken Chicken etc. where you won't break the bank. Duke's which is across the street but a little walk north is another place that might fit the bill. Have you checked out caymanrestaurantguide.com or caymangoodtaste.com for ideas?

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

When you say 'Pubs', here are the 3 places on SMB in Cayman that would consider themselves to be Pubs in the British or Irish sense of the word:

1- Tripple Crown. Located across the street from the Marriott.

2- Fidel Murphy's. Located 1 block south of Treasure Island Resort

3- PD's / Pirates Den. Located in Galleria Plaza, near Grand Cayman Beach Suites.

All have a sports bar and pub feel. Tripple Crown will be full of Brits, Fidels full of Irish and PD's a mix of anybody and everybody. Poutine or Loaded Nachos normally hit the spot every time at PD's.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

Stephen,

Thanks for the info.

The nachos at PD's sound great!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

What do you consider "reasonably priced"? Generally alcohol is more expensive on GC, altho single drink/beer prices seem similar to US (some places probably a littel higher). Seems to me the airline even wanted $7.00 for a beer (US Air) on the way down, and wouldn't take cash. On island, two 6-packs of local beer (the Ironshore Bock is good) cost US$25.00 in January.

I think one beer at my resort was CI$5.00 (=US$6.00).

Coconut Joe's across from Comfort Suites/Marriott has a nice outside seating area and more of an island feel (tho not on the beach). Triple Crown has good food, but we had to sit outside pretty much on the sidewalk by the busy street, because there was way too much smoking inside.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

No need to worry about smoking inside anywhere, the smoking ban came in to effect a few years ago

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

Retrip,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Haven't checked the two guides yet, but I will.

Tiffany

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

mecllap,

Reasonably priced beer? -- hmmmm --- I'm guessing my guys would say $4 U.S. dollars a pint! haha

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

sajidgidda,

Good to know there's a ban on indoor smoking now. I've really gotten used to having smoke-free restaurants and bars in the U.S.

Tiffany

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

The smoking ban in Cayman is pretty strict. I know you can smoke indoors in Texas, Florida... Some other States too but they slip my mind. Cayman employs a zero-tolerance approach, no smoking in any public building

An Imperial pint is about 25% bigger than a US Pint, so in real terms a pint in Cayman is about $2 more than your benchmark

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonably priced pubs on SMB?

Tiffany

Maybe the cost will keep their consumption down..... Doesn't seem to work for us, but maybe it does for some people

Edited: 06 May 2012, 03:34
Get answers to your questions about George Town