We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

Thanks!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

We call home with our verizon service. Expensive though.I think $2.99 a minute.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 01:30
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

Yes, but you will pay up the ying-yang if you do not have an international calling plan.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

Download the Skype app for your Verizon phone (I have a Droid). It is easier to go to skype.com and follow the download steps there. Then as long as you make your calls through Skype from somewhere with wifi, the cost will be minimal. If your hotel or condo doesn't have wifi, you can find a restaurant that does.

I just did this in Budapest and Prague and it worked great. Calls back to the US were crystal clear. I had been under the misconception that Skype wasonly for people who want to do video calls. Not true. It was super easy and only cost a few cents per minute. Much easier and cheaper than setting up an international plan with Verizon.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

Call Verizon and confirm that your phone is international capable. Some phones will not work out of the U.S.

5. Re: Do Verizon cell phones work on the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:45
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman