We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Produce stands/ fish markets on North Side?

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Produce stands/ fish markets on North Side?

So I have been searching through the forum to look for answers re: produce stands, and still have a few questions.

- Is the Sat. market at the Grounds in Lower Valley still open in mid-summer? Wasn't sure if they might close seasonally.

- Are there any produce stands/markets on the north side of the island, a bit closer to Rum Point? (NSSue, I saw a reply from you in one of those threads saying there are some farms in the area - do they sometimes sell at the roadside?)

- Is there any local fruit that is still in season in early- to mid-July?

- Is there a fish market (however informal, like where fishermen show up with the day's catch they want to sell) somewhere close to Rum Point?

- What is the season for lobster (My guess is it's not while we're there, but thought I'd ask...)?

Thanks!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Produce stands/ fish markets on North Side?

The Market at the Grounds is open all year. As you probably read, it is best to get there early or risk finding very little. Most times we've have gone (even early) there really has not been an "abundance" of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I have seen an occasion (once or twice) a roadside stand in Old Man Bay with some fruits for sale and one time saw a fish fry set-up (looked like a fund raiser). There is/was a farm (duck farm???) near Hutland that I heard sold items, but NSS would be the one to confirm on that or other options. Not sure of the seasonality of fruits, since all I care about are the limes from our lime tree which are in season during the summer.

No fish stands I know of around Rum Point (wish there were), but there may be some on the East End since there are actual fisherman there. Just a guess, but the East End Fish Fry may sell fresh fish if asked. Weekends in Bodden Town and Savannah you can find Produce, Fresh Meat and Fish available roadside or in front yards (just look for signs advising of whatever "available today" posted in a yard).

Lobster season run December through February.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 23:39
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Produce stands/ fish markets on North Side?

Found some info regarding some potential fresh fish options closer by Rum Point on the http://grandcaymanvillas.net/files.htm website : some afternoons the fishermen in the Northside are cleaning fish at the public pier/ramp next to "Over the Edge" in Old Man Bay too (about 1PM-2PM). Lastly-- Karen Forbes, who owns the Texaco station in East End-- runs the fish fry on Sundays and can help out too sometimes 925-7439. Will check it out next month.

3. Re: Produce stands/ fish markets on North Side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman
Recent Conversations