We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water temperature

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
9 reviews
water temperature

is the water warm at GC? last Oktober i went to Santa Maarten and water was a little bit cold for me. is water warmer at GC then at SM in oktober?

Severn, Maryland
Level Contributor
41 posts
1. Re: water temperature

The current water temperature is 86 F. A couple of weeks ago it was 87 F, starting to come down. We get there October 13 for two weeks, our second two week stay on Grand Cayman this year. Glad the water is still warm, that is the way I like it.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: water temperature

thank you for your answer! where I can take a look for current temperature of water???

86F!!!! it sounds good....i think, it was 79 F at santa Maarten, when i was cold...

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: water temperature

SM has a cold side and a warm side. The French side faces the Atlantic and can be several degrees colder in the water than the Dutch side. I've found winter water temperatures to be surprisingly consistent around the Caribbean, generally 81-82. I've never been in the water on the east side of Grand Cayman, but I'd be willing to bet that the east side with the prevailing winds is a degree cooler than the calm west side. Still a lot better than San Francisco Bay.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: water temperature

Ocean temperature in Cayman is about the warmest in the Caribbean as we are tucked up in the NW Caribbean... very warm indeed in summer and fall, dropping to low 80s in the winter... in other words, about perfect :)

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: water temperature

last april i was told the same about Aruba island - temperature is the same all year around, like 80F. when i went there i could'not swim at all, it was very cold.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: water temperature

I think what happens is very warm air temps heat the skin so if you sit out for a while before swimming the relatively cooler water temps make it seem chillier than it really is.

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
53 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: water temperature

Going to be there late November and looking forward to going snorkeling but don't handle cold water well. Does anyone know the actual water temperature for that time of year?

Thanks

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: water temperature

Tom Cayman (who lives there) said low 80's. My guess is he has a pretty good idea!!!!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
669 reviews
9. Re: water temperature

Today, I measured 82 degrees at 105 feet below the surface. Bathtub warm...ahhhhhhh.....so nice.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
10. Re: water temperature

/will it be cold in February?